starter went dorky - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

starter went dorky

starter just started making a screwed up clicking noise. sounds like a relay clicking. is there a way to replace the relay without changing the starter like a G.M. ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 03:54 PM
mikrosilakhan

Re: starter went dorky

yea 2 screws hold it on the starter.... might just need cleaning mine was full of mud and crap
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 04:17 PM

You need the starter relay mod. The factory harness tends to not be able to supply enough current through the start wire, causing the click noise. Simple process to repair, do a search on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 11:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

did that happen all the time? Over the last week, I have had a similar problem, every couple times I go to start, I get nothing but clicking. I turn the key off and on a few times and it will finally start. Is that what happened to you? Were you able to fix it. Sorry to jump in on your post, it just sounded to similar to pass up LOL
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

yeah the last couple months it would just click once when i would hit the starter then after a few times it would turn over. then yesterday it went waaaaaaa click clck clck waaaaaaclck waaaaaa vroooooom lol. well i went to leave work tonight and it made this noise " chirp chirp chirp" thats the crickets audible as the starter makes no freakin sound now.does this mean its toast guess so but i need a vehicle tomorrow
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

anyone got a good way to test the starter directly , i was thinking of hooking a jumper cable to the starter and then to the bettery just to test it. i am just not sure which terminaly i should jump.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 03:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Some auto part stores can test starters for free. The ones in my area, Autozone and Kragen do it for free.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 11:33 AM
RedRock

This must be a common problem. Mine will do this about every third time I start it. I have to hit the starter with the key maybe 3 to 4 times before it turns over. A new battery seemed to help a lot but didn't get rid of it all together. A new starter didn't fix it. I recently shorted the clutch nuetral position switch and that didn't fix it.

If anyone comes up with fix I would really like to know as well. - Larry
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 11:43 AM

Here's what you've gotta do. Go to your local auto parts supply store and get yourself a relay. Samurais' don't have a starter relay; it's run through the key switch directly to the starter solenoid. As the wiring gets older, it doesn't supply enough current to engage the solenoid. Use the relay to supply current directly from the battery to the starter solenoid where the stock wire connects. Use the stock wire to activate the relay.
I know this is a simplified version of what you've got to do, but that's the idea. Just be sure to fuse the lead from the battery to the relay! Remember, safety first!
I had the same problem with mine. I've added an auxiliary fuse block under the hood to wire the relay and other stuff into, but you don't need to go to that extreme. It is really handy to wire other stuff into though.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 11:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bansensukai- is right on here, I think the GM relay i got was 8 bucks.
I did want to add have your battery tested too.
Mine did the same the same thing when I got it, but it was combo of the relay not getting enough and my battery was going south.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode