OT: WHAT THE %@!! IS THIS COUNTRY COMMING TO? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

OT: WHAT THE %@!! IS THIS COUNTRY COMMING TO?

I was just listening to the news where a court in Calafornia voted part of the "Pledge Of Allegence" to be unconstitutional. "One Nation Under God" has to be omited because it unfairly pushes religion onto people was the ruling. A guy in Cali. decided that his 2nd grader was being forced religion by having to recite that line.
Sorry for the post, but that just burns my butt to read and hear stuff like that. Isn't this country having enough problems the way it is without some jackass stirring up more trouble like that? And what about the judges that made the ruling! I mean come on! Do you really think their speaking for the people, or just trying to get their names in the news?
It's ok for some non-religous jerk to tell me I can't believe in what ever, but heaven forbid I should mention what I believe in! OMG....I don't want to offend anyone by telling them I go to Church on Sunday and pray everynight before I go to bed!
Like I said, sorry about the ranting, but I just felt to need to bitch to my family here!
These are very sad times were living in peeps! Give you family a kiss and a hug before you offend someone with THAT too!
(off my soapbox now!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 12:12 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: OT: WHAT THE %@!! IS THIS COUNTRY COMMING TO?

I also heard that the same a-hole tried to get the "in God we trust" off of our money. Man this guy needs to get a job. Jim
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 12:23 PM

na somebody needs to send this guy to another country.. that is pure BULL Crap what he is doing...

if he does not want to have religion (the whole reason why this country was founded) then I WANT him to move to another country and take all the rest of the people who feel this way with him...

I want to remember that this country stands as ONE NATION UNDER GOD.. I don't want it to be under any other ruler...

what was the judge thinking.. or was the judge paid to make that decision...

yes that burns my butt too...

what can we do the 99.99% of us that want to still keep it the way it was?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 12:24 PM
Pooh-Bah

well, i'm not really religious in anyway anymore(since my grandmother passed away) but do you think we have to much "freedom"? It is afterall what allows us to have things like that done. Though I should mention, my thoughts are as the same as yours.

In contrast, here in NY most all, non major city fire depts are volunteer, and just reported in this weeks local paper, a local gvt figure had his propasal passed to give Volly firefighters a 10% break in their property tax the Vote was 142-1. The one lone voter was afraid this would ruin small town budgets, so not that I'm vengful(not a volly myself anymore), but I hope he has a fire in his house when no one is around, maybe he'll see how important those Volly firefighters are, spending there free time to protect others
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 01:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Not to fan flames here, but the original pledge did not contain the line "under God". It was added later. This was due mainly because of objections from religous groups. They felt that no one should place any loyalty or have an obligation of loyalty higher than that loyalty to God. Hence, the allegiance is "under God"

Funny how the passing of time can swing the political spectrum from one side to the other. Being a civil libertarian, I can identify in both sides of the argument. "Why should I swear allegiance to anyone or thing other than my God?" "Why should I have to acknoledge God's supremecy?" Both are vaild arguements.

Personally, I think it's silly that this stupid thing should garner this much attention to begin with. It gained the same amount of air time on the news yesterday as did the MCI scandel. Where are our priorities? The newsgroups should be spending more time finding out what other large corporations are fleecing the economy and our 401K retirements instead of fostering ill will by providing a platform for such a trivial issue as this, which will only cause the US citizens to choose sides and divide us.

Now let's get on to truly note worth issues like Melissa Smart.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 02:05 PM

I suggest that since these 2 judges take such offence to the "under God" in the pledge of allegiance, that they must be equally offended by "In God We Trust" on our greenbacks. So I recommend that we change their pay to cash and make the currency shekels, kopecks, dinars, rials or something else that might not make mention of God.

What a stupid ruling! No one has ever been coerced into saying the pledge if on religious grounds they asked to be excused. Too much academia, too little common sense...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 02:14 PM

"One Nation under GOD" was added in 1954 by congress. This will be directly overturned. Congress is opposed to the ruling and went to the Capitol steps and recited the pledge to show their support for the pledge. This is an example of how one loud individual can acheive his goal just by having the majority remain quiet.
ps California is full of nut anyway.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 02:30 PM
Enthusiast

Hmmmm, when you go to court, do you still have to place a hand on the bible and swear to tell the truth now?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 02:42 PM

Sure is hard to type objectively...

"One nation" isn't part of the argument. It's just the "under god" that has the feathers ruffled. Inserted by a president who thought it was a spiritual weapon against the Atheist Communism that was keeping everyone awake at night.

But why the rebellion now? Unfortunately the outspoken pressures of the religeous majority have been pushing harder since 9/11. For this increase of force, there rises an increase in resistance. If this "kick them out" attitude persists, we may have a holy war inside our borders after all.

I have been reading the random posts from every corner of the net and the passion of the zealots (on all sides) is frightening. Senators want to rewrite the constitution. Religeous leaders point and [email protected] and call for action. The parents are teaching their children about civil disobedience and what to do in class if confronted...

The judges, by upholding what is correct to the written law of the land, have probably pushed themselves out of office. I have to admire such conviction.

I experienced the church controlling the state while I lived in Utah. It is a very frightening thing. Of course I was an "outsider" who was in fact told to leave... and I did.

If a vote ever came down to make a state religeon, who do you think would win? Christianity? Which Christianity? I KNOW that if Mormonism won, the Babtists or Catholics would declare war. And what about our Jewish community, or Islam, Paganism, or the countless others... including agnostisism and atheism that tollerate the "majority"?
Most are able to say "god" and say to themselves "my god" and are happy with that. But if this pressure from the christian religeous right doesn't let up soon, other parties are going to stand up... and I KNOW there will be someone there too yelling, "sit down!" and then the blood will spill... and then there will be hell to pay... so to speak.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 02:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Having recently served on jury duty I can tell you that even here in the Bible belt you do not have to swear with your hand on the Bible, you can simply be "affirmed" which means you are swearing on nothing other than your word. I trust a lot more people swearing on the Bible than on their own word now-a-days... that's pretty sad. What happened to good ole days when a handshake was such a powerful truthful contract? Oh well. By the way, Kalifornia is the land of fruits and nuts.

Many years ago, the world tilted and everything that was loose rolled down into California.

Justin D(oen't like CA) Fender
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode