Several things..Loud knocking noise,weber,header.. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 10:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Several things..Loud knocking noise,weber,header..

First and foremost, our deepest sympathies for the tragic loss Chad and Mindy are experiencing. The response from this board has been overwhelming. It's nice to know in todays world, strangers can still pull together and help out those in need, be it financially or emotionally.

I recently rebuilt the 1.3 in my 88 because I heard a loud knocking noise in it and when I took it to a shop, I was told it sounded like piston slap. Now when we tore it down, the lower end was perfect. Bores all checked fine, pistons fine, rods, pins, crank, everything plastigauged well within tolerances. We replaced pistons, pins and all bearings, and the head with one I bought off eBay. My head was chewed up in the cam journals, so I figured this must have been the source of the noise. Now, my biggest mistake was to not tear down the replacement head, because now the noise is back, and seems a little worse than before. To let you know, the head I bought had a completely plugged oil galley at the dist end. It definitely sounds like an upper end noise to me. Doesn't seem to be deep in the engine at all and is a very fast rattling type of knock, like perhaps rocker noise. I've adjusted lash several times, so I'm starting to think bad springs maybe? All adjustments made with completely cold engine. I figured if this head is doing it too, maybe it's common enought that one of you may have had it too and can offer some advise. At this point, I'm thinking of buying a new head from Petroworks with the isky cam in it, and the header/weber combo from Calmini for some extra oomph.
Would like to hear from anyone who's purchased these items and who may be able to assist in troubleshooting this thing.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 11:20 AM

Re: Several things..Loud knocking noise,weber,header..

Use a stethescope or if you dont have one, a long screw driver, and listen to various parts of the engine. It's amazing how close you can trace a sound by listening to each intake/exhaust ports, pumps (don't get caught in the belts or fan blades!) , and other rotating phreiphrials. Have you looked at your dist? The bearings sometimes wear out and it could be tapping on the cap. Are you an auto? Flex plates can be cracked. It could be a cracked/broken alt/AC pump bracket. The key is accurate listening.

My stethescope is an inexpensive real one, with the widgit at the end of the hose cut off, a 1' piece of copper tubing stuck in, and a wood screw stuffed into the tube to act as a "mic". It works great.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 03:40 PM
bord

This may help none at all but my Zuk started making a loud knocking/rattling noise from what sounded like the bottom of the motor. It took me a while to trace it but it turned out to be coming from my cat converter. A chunk of the cat converter "guts" had broken off and was rattling around inside there. It was too big to fit out the exhaust hole so I had to cut the exhaust to remove it. This may be no where close to your problem but thought I would throw it out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 09:01 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Try setting the valves with the engine warmed up fully . Before doing so , take each rocker adjusting screw out , and inspect the tip of it to see if they are pitted . Once they get worn to a point , there is no stopping the rattle . Most heads can be adjusted down to about .008" intake, .009" exhaust , with the oil up to temp ...
Sarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode