Okay, how do I fix THIS leak? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Okay, how do I fix THIS leak?

Hi all. My transmission is leaking gear oil at the output shaft seal. The kicker is that I've already replaced the seal, just a few months ago. I'm guessing that the bushing that's pressed into the tranny's tailshaft is worn out and allowing the slipyoke to wallow around, letting oil get past the seal. Does this sound like it might be the problem? If so, how do I fix it? The FSM says you're supposed to replace the whole tailshaft section of the tranny when that bushing is worn out, but there's gotta be a cheaper way. Has anyone gotten a machine shop to replace that bushing? Did the repair hold up well? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 09:29 PM

Re: Okay, how do I fix THIS leak?

MrSurly What type of seal did you replace it with? factory zuzuki seal or napa/autozone? The reason I ask is we just changed the seal on the output of the tranny on my buddy's samurai with a napa seal.
The napa seal was HALF the length of the factory seal(we could have stuck two in there)
Just curios as to what type you used.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 09:35 PM
Addict

Make sure your yoke doesn't have a small burr wearing the seal. You may need to polish it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

It was an OEM Suzuki seal. (I don't like aftermarket seals either).
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 01:20 PM

National Oil Seals manufacturers Redi-Sleeves. They're a kind of shim that presses onto the shaft the seal surrounds. If the yoke shaft is the problem this could be a "quick-fix".

You might check the housing bore to see if it is out of round. If the eccentricity is only about 0.001-inch, then you may be able cement the new seal in and seal the leak. Check the bore for excessive roughness, dirt, scratches or burrs. Also note whether the seal is cocked in the housing. Check the OD surface of the seal for damage resulting from improper insallation.

National's inquiry line is 800 225-1220.

Any power transmission supplier should be able to order the sleeve for you.

Good luck,

Roger
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I've had one tranny apart, and saw that the surface of it's tailshaft bushing was badly pitted. I'm guessing that the bushing in my current tranny is in similar condition. I don't know for sure what causes this, but I'd be willing to bet it's due to the previous owner's failure to change the transmission gear oil. Ever. The bushing seems to be made of soft metal like an engine bearing. The slip yoke's surface is clean and shiny with no burrs, grooves, pits, etc. so that's not my problem.
Back to the original question -- has anybody had the tailshaft bushing replaced in their tranny? I've tried to order one from Suzuki and they say it's not available. Does anyone know of another source for this part, short of having one made at a machine shop?
Ragtag, I appreciate the suggestion about the press-on sleeve for the slip yoke, but I'd have to have the bushing bored out to a standard size to accomodate it. I'd rather just replace the bushing.
Thanks guys.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 10:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

me personally...i would check the fluid every week or so and when she locks up buy another used one...beats the hell out of rebuilding one or $$$paying$$$ someone to rebuild it for you
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 10:46 PM
clyde_causey

You might try removing the tail housing and taking it to a transmission shop. There surely must be a bushing available that will fit even if it is from Toyota or even Kia.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 10:58 PM

The dealer wasn't jerking you, I just looked up in my parts book to see if the bushing was listed. Its not. Probably a factory installed bushing. you can: A) bore it and have one pressed if you can find a metric size to match. B) Replace the whole tranny. C) Find some one here that has scattereed the gears and buy their old tailshaft housing.

BTW, some bushings have grid patterns pressed into them to hold pockets of oil. Could that be the piting you saw on the other bushing?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Jarrett, I hear ya man but I'd like to fix this leak 'cause it's dripping into my skidplate. Besides, I don't mind rebuilding my tranny. I kinda like turning wrenches! That's one reason I bought a Zuk.

Outlaw, the bushing does have a hole and grooves in it for oil. But the pitting I saw was just that -- pitting. Like a worn-out rod bearing. Thanks for looking it up, though!

Clyde, good idea except the tranny shops around here all suck. When I needed some bearings replaced in my first tranny, I was turned away by three different shops. The only place that would touch it was a machine shop, not a tranny shop. I'll probably end up doing just what you suggested though. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode