Way O/T - Big Business Stomps on Small Business -Rant - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Way O/T - Big Business Stomps on Small Business -Rant

My mother in law has been self employed for what seems like forever. Her biggest customer just notified her that after Dec of this year, they will no longer need her. This company is following WalMart, Home Depot, Sears, etc. by setting up their own shops overseas and copying (though at a lower quality) what was once produced here and eliminating the middle man. To me is seems the Execs want to preserve their market share by stomping out the local producers that may sell things to their competition and create their own label overseas.

Truth be told, her USA factory closed a couple years ago (was in LA but regulation, taxes, etc. ended that) and moved to Mexico just to stay in business. And many of the factory workers moved too where they are still employed and making even more money compaired to their salaries and costs of living here.

But even the cheaper costs of labor in Mexico can not compete with China.

I set up several stores for The Home Depot. I watched the local hardware stores fold every time. Mom and Pop stores putting their kids through college? Gone. Supermarket's (with unions) cashiers making $20 an hour? Welcome to Wal Mart and $6 an hour.

Sigh, I'm not a 100% Perot guy, but you have to admit. The economy is failing. Steel and farms are floating because of subsidies, almost everything else is imported. The average Joe can't afford to "Buy USA", heck, he can't afford to support the little businesses and he probably can't find "USA" anywhere. And we all are so instant gratification oriented, ... No? What if WalMart sold their own brand of ARB lockers for $300 a pop, would YOU save for the brand name? Sure you would...

Just remember, if you complain saying, "what ever happened to service?" -- Service got more expensive and nobody bought it. Had they done so, the inflation rate would reflect it, Mr. Greenspan would raise interest rates again and the layoffs begin. This would in turn lower wages and suddenly the discretionary income is reduced. But we still want things. So we "have to" go to the cheaper vendors and the cheaper retailers. And we find ourselves in aisle 100 with no one to help us, the price tag is missing, and we are greatful... at least we can afford it.

Conspiracy? No. Just a broken chain of stupid events.

Thanks for reading.. I feel a little better.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 04:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Way O/T - Big Business Stomps on Small Business -Rant

I have to agree with you, we as employees and as consumers have brought this on ourselves. The government with high taxes and expecting so much out of people who employee other people (remember without your boss getting his high wages for his high risk you wouldnt have a job), have basically ran businesses out of it. Perot was wrong in that alot of the jobs that have gone south of the obrer to Mexico is stuff we as Americans refuse to do. And we import peole for the same thing (when was the last time you seen am American housekeeper at a hotel?) So we will have to live with our new economy, and adapt to it. But as industrious we Americans are I am not worried.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 05:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I also have to agree with you. I am a small business man and I've busted my butt to get where I'm at.I've endured 3 lawsuits alleging patent infringement and now those bastards are gonna pay since they lost I get my revenge. I always try yo buy American where I can,especially in my business. When Walmart and Home Depot moved in here most of the small hardware stores closed up. Not for lack of trying, there are a few still here in northern Harford county and I still drive 20 miles out of my way to patronize them.Most of the large chain stores don't carry tractor supplies like lynch pins and d-rings. Walk into a Home Depot and ask someone for a lynch pin and I bet they'll look at you like you've got 3 eyes. Folks the old ways are quickly becoming passe and I don't like the new age retail situation one little bit!! Isn't there a law about price fixing ???
ROB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 05:47 PM
Veteran

Dont forget the greenies. All the regulations add considerable costs to products made here vs. those made where no one cares (i.e. China)

I'm not suggesting that we shouldnt care about the enviorment, but some of the regulations add serious costs considering the minimal benefits...not to metion all the red tape involved.

Song version of your post:
www.lyricscafe.com/j/jackson_alan/aj65.html
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 05:58 PM
mikrosilakhan

What ticks me off is when people"usualy poor people" Blame the american worker. ""IF JOE BLO at FORD DIDNT MAKE 17 bucks a hour MY CAR WOULDA BEEN 10 grand cheaper"
Well
1. Is Good ol Unlce Sam didnt take nearly 50 percent of my money and didnt build a 7 miullion dollar gym for a school with a class of 90 Then 10 bucks a hour would be a nice living.
2. Dont you want to make a good living? If its that important to you then tell your boss you want a paycut so americas business stay goin

Not directing this at anyone here just saying i hear it all to often.

A few weeks ago a local farmer screamed at my friend "concrete driver as i am" that concrete went up 4 dollars a yard for him. Our brilliant salesmen told him it was the "union drivers fault" He said were raping the company thats why it went up... Well we got a wopping 25 cents in our last contract.. Thats 3 whole bucks in a 12 hour day.. The same day i probably delivered 30 yards of crete.. So apperently it cost our company 120 dollars mroe to pay me 3?? Hmmmmm
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 06:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Uhhh guys dont scream to loud tht you only buy American, if I am not mistaken the Suzuki Samurai (this topic borad) was never manufactured in The U.S......sorry had to bring it up. And there are some very poinet points being made here...government regulations, and the enviromentalist whackos are costing us.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

I wish I could exclusively buy USA (note I did not say American) In fact, if I could have my way, I would only buy Texas (since this is where I currently reside). But that train of thought heads to a different station.... It is literally impossible to buy 100% USA (Jay Leno comedian/car buff wrote how he searched nationally for someone who had the skill and machinery to fab special gears he needed - 6 months till he found someone... most of USA's machines have been sold overseas!)

I am all for buying the best product for the best price. I don't care if the watch is Swiss, the car Italian, or the camera Japanese, what I care about is that Joe Nextdoor got beat fairly (sorry Perot again)and not by someone who's people aren't being given protective gear to braze or glue or whatever.....

I want the "best price" to not be due to slave labor or inhuman treatment or horrible economic / ecological / political circumstances. I often hear,"Hey, they are better off then they were" ~ that is crap.

Satchmo88 - Don't be sorry for stating the truth!?! Even if I had bought this Sam new (once every 3 to 5 years?), though, it is still nothing compaired to the amount I spend year after year on clothes, furnishings, tools, electronics, fuel, etc.

My point is that this country's raw resources (land) that were free to anyone are gone (stolen... but that again is a different train [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ). Everything is already owned by somebody. So you must either sell your labor or your skill or both (or your inheretance I suppose). Our economy (with a big help from technology) is quickly making everything "minimum wage simple" and only the networked and incorporated will pull enough dollars from enough individuals to aquire "wealth".

---meaning the mechanic at the corner in his own business may someday soon have to close his doors and refer you to the dealer where a tech ~with "Jiffy Lube" skills~ will plug your computer into the dealer's proprietary hardware/software and be told which component is malfunctioning and how to replace it (oops, that's already started). Suddenly a skill that paid good money is $10 an hour.

I know this is the wrong place for this... I will try to keep my mouth shut here.

The supreme court just ordered net radio to pay 70 cents per 1000 listeners per song. Commercial free uncensored net radio will be dead in a few months.

Who benifits? Who was behind this lawsuit?
The conservative right - effectively censoring an entire media source. (George Orwell had it wrong - the private sector should be feared most, it has violated far more rights than our government ever will)
Stations that charge - Satellite or standard commercial..
Record Companies - though this is stupid. I have discovered so many new bands off the net. My only cds I have purchased over the past 6 months are all based on these "discoveries" ... except Drallion, I bought that at Cirque's tent right after the performance.

OK I'm done...

I just can't stop [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 08:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would take this a step farther and apply it to the 4x4 world as well. There are companies, Suzuki vendor(s) included that have parts made in Mexico robbing jobs of potential U.S. employees. I've talked about this with a couple other Suzuki vendors that do not sub out their work to Mexico and its frustrating for us when that shop gets their parts made so cheaply while we're providing jobs for our local communities. I'm actually very proud that we've created full time positions supporting 12 good men and their families in our small town.

I would not be opposed to a national mandate that required a "Made In ....." on EVERYTHING sold in the U.S. Might make 4x4 guys think twice about buying certain parts if they knew what was going on.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 09:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

How about the fact that any American made product is taxed to death upon being imported into other countries , while we import foreign goods almost duty free? Why do we even put up with this ? 50 years ago , if some idiot wanted to challenge
the Pledge of Allegiance , he would have been shot . Patriotism is almost dead , Freedom is next .
Sarge
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 10:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OK here ya go an all -American site with all-American products. <a target="_blank" href=http://store.manufacturedinusa.com/cgi-bin/shop.storefront/EN/catalog/1757>http://store.manufacturedinusa.com/cgi-bin/shop.storefront/EN/catalog/1757</a>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode