Sj410 axle q's - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Sj410 axle q\'s

in the continuing saga of tearign down my prototype chassis', I got into the axles today - and the results were a bit enlightening.

one front 1/2 shaft had the diff end splines stripped, but everything else was good. what I DID find is that the Sj410 diffs are 95% interchangeable with my Niva's diffs - even the shaft splines are a match. ( little loose, btu as mentioned, these shafts werent great anyway, so it might be that these shafts are worn) ( ?!) so, given that no one makes 'toys'' for Niva axles, i have some q's about the SJ410 chunks

From other posts I understand that the SJ410 chunks are different to other samurai diffs - what's different? what ratios are/were availabnle, and what can be swapped in? locker options? how much power will these diffs handle? ( tire size isnt an issue, as the biggest rubber you can fit under a Niva body without major bodywork is 31's)

any info greatly appreciated , and TIA
chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 06:59 PM

Re: Sj410 axle q\'s

the axles are narrower on the sj's, the 3rd member is smaller, the only axle ratio they came with was 4:11, except the early 85's that had 3:90's, the only thing I have found for the sj axles is a limited slip unit for the rear axle from Calmini. On one of my sj's I run 31x10's with a chevette engine and it's been drove hard and had no problems with the axles
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

john - just checked your bio - where abouts in BC are you? What I've found 'may' be of interest to you if you like your modified rig - the Niva axle uses the same 5 on 5.5 bolt patterns, etc, but has a 60" width between the rims. same small diff housing though, but very srong tubes - might make an interestign over-width option for canadian SJ410's Gear options on the Fiat /autovas pigs were a bit better, too - they range from 3.54, to 4.40( rare) but there arent ANY locker, or LSD options for Fiat, or autovas version of the axle.

I'm going to try mounting my spare Niva chunk into the Sj housing later, just to see how well the mounting bolts, and shaft splines engage, but looking at the 2 diffs, it 'might' even be possible to fit the Sj410 ring, pinion, and carrier into the Autovas housing, as the bearing spacing, and diameter seem the same!!

anyone else? lockers/lsd's - what has is/was available for the SJ410 diffs? ( Niva uses the same gears front, and rear, and I'd LOVE to find out there's a production LSD, or locker that I can fit in there!) Also, I know a few guys track the overseas models: did japanese, euro, and Australian spec 410s get the same 2 gear options? ( I've been trying to find ~4.56's so I can move up to 31's without having to completely change my axles)

again, any feedback greatly apreciated.
chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 07:52 PM

Sorry Chris, but I think the only traction aid I've seen is the LSD Calmini makes. Brent at TT had made up a few spools for the samurai's maybe you could make one for the 410??????
shawn
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 08:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The 85 SJ with 1.3's diff is narrower than the 86 and up but has the SAME size 3rd member and had 3.90's.
LJ and up to 84 SJ 3rd's are interchangeable...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Shawn - I've already got a spool in the rear, but because the Nivas originally full time 4wd, there's no front hubs ( and no way to convert to them, I might add) If I cant find some way of cramming a locker, or LSD in there, I'd been considering fitting some of the Subura caliper shte Zuk crowd uses for rear conversions, and using the 'e-brake' fittings to make a cutting brake traction assembly.

on a far wilder note, I even measured up to see what'd happen if I was to, say, grind & graft the Sj410 front knuckles onto the 410's rear tubes...sure enough, it'd give a 60" wide assembly to match the Nivas rear end....hmmmm, now how bad do I want a SAS on a Niva 8^D the idea has potential, but because of the Nivas tight front end design, it'd be a hell of a lot of work to fit. ( suspensions OK, but the steering would be a royal PITA)" why" - 'cause the small pumpkin would then match my rear end, and it' dHAVE to be small to clear the oilpan on the diesel....biggest tires I could get, even with say 3" lift over the current height would be ~31's, so the smaller the pumpkin, the better. flex would be great though - full 4 wheel long travel coils, and I can run up to 40" locating arms if I make a central bracket. anyone on here ever grafted knuckles across like this? how did you rig up the flex joint ( I think you guys call this thing a birfield? looks like a bootless CVJ to me) I figure if I try it, I'll be cutting down the existing rear shafts as the 'inner', and adding the birfield to the ends somehow - probably just get a shop to taper the ends, and weld the shafts together? just a 'though exercise' at this point, but frankly, its the best SAS idea I've ever heard of for Niva's! ( all the others have suggested adding a second chassis, and ~10" lift to accomodate a bigger pumpkin) I know you guys dont know niva's, but any thought/s experience on the SAS concept would be appreciated.

I'm still just blown away by how well the parts all match up!!

chris
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

ok, so what ratios were available in the LJ's? ( those are the earlier little things with 2 stroke motors, arent they?)

chris
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 08:17 PM

I don't know try www.zukiworld.com then click on the technical pages on the right it's pretty comprehesive. I would guess they would have to be pretty low geared to keep the rpm's high for the 2 stroke motor.....
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 08:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Chris
My LJ-81 has 4.56 gears in it with a 800cc 4 stroke.....4 speed tranny and REV's like a F-1 at 80km/hr...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

yah, I looked them up - looks like they were from ~4.56--5.70, depending on which model LJ. the lower end of that range would re-gear me just about perfectly for 31's. As for revs, the LJ's high range was ~1.7:1, but the setup I'm running has a 1:1 high range - BIG difference in rpms. On LT235/75R15's, I'm around 3500 @ 110 kph ( 70 mph), which is perfect for the benz diesel.

I'm probably getting ahead of myself here, but are the LJ diffs hard to get? ( I see LJ bodies in the local pick-your-part from time to time, but have never thought to look at the axles under them) guess I'll have to take a REAL in depth look at these 2 diffs tonight, and confirm whether or not I can bolt the Sj410 chunk into my current housing.

chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode