Cool summer time windshield mod. Under 10 mins. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Cool summer time windshield mod. Under 10 mins.

This only works if you have an OEM windshield fold-down kit. I seen it on a rig in Moab so I figured I'd share it.

I bought some 1/4" cotter pins from Home Creepo. They are the ones with a retainer clip/clasp is attached to it, like the ones you would use on a trailer coupler to lock the handle down. Cost like $1.50 each. Buy 2.

I took a hammer and a punch and knocked out the fold-down hinge pins. Next, I used a 1/4" drill and drilled out the holes (they were slightly smaller). I used a Dremel to shorten the width of the hinge slightly so the clasp would fit/attach.

I slid the pin in and clasped it. Now when I want to wheel hard, I can unlatch the windshield, pull the hinge pins and lose the windshield all together. One less bent and broken part!

I see TT has the same sorta thing, but nifty billet aluminum hinges instead. This is a cheap mod for those who already have the OEM hinges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 10:56 AM

Re: Cool summer time windshield mod. Under 10 mins.

I did the VERY same mod, but to my hood. I can now take off my targa, doors, tailgate, windshield, and hood to wheel. Eventually I plan to tube the front so that all that's left to damage is the tub.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 01:00 PM
Addict

Nothing like a hose or radiator bursting and having hot water sprayed all over you [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 04:55 PM

Hood off is going to allow alot more engine heat to come back on you too. Ive ran up behind someone in my dirt stock car, and after making slight contact, the back of my hood sometimes will crinkle up. Even with a full face helmet on, and shield closed, I can feel the air temp rise quite a bit from the heat coming out from under the hood. I know the example isnt a good one, with a zuk crawling along on the trial, but if your on your way to the trail, your really going to notice the heat. And lojones is right on a busted hose or an engine fire. Thats going to be downright nasty.

Jim
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 05:20 PM

On second thought, alot of the tube buggies dont have hoods. Anyone here got a buggy without a hood? How bad is your engine heat effecting you? Are you trailering to the trails?

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode