Engine Cleaning - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Engine Cleaning

A while back I bought a spare 1.3 to build up. I've pulled all the hardware off, stripped and sanded everything, repainted the components and got all that stuff looking good. The problem is the block. I've tried degreasers and sprays but it still looks dingy. Today I tried a soft wire brush on a drill, but that tends to cause the external surfaces to pit. Has anyone got any good ideas for making a Zuk block look good? What do you do, paint them or what?
I have always cleaned and painted good old American Iron, but the Zuk engine baffles me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 09:51 PM

Re: Engine Cleaning

If it has major grime build up you may want to consider taking it to a machine shop to have it hot tanked.
Tim
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 09:54 PM
Veteran

Join the club! My first engine block and head looked dingy after cleaning, too. I found out that the engine had been run hot (overheated) by the previous owner. It changed the aluminum's surface from shiny metal to a dirty brown color, like old cookware. I never did find a way to restore it's appearance. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Sorry!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Well, I guess I could paint it Petty Blue and put a number 43 on the door!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 10:15 PM

When i rebuilt mine i took it to a shop they dunked it and it came out looking new. I cant remember what it cost but it was cheap.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 10:59 PM

Try Zep, a group I belong to that restores old machine tools swear by it. Their using in on CI so try it in a corner first. if its really bad use full strength and let it set. You can get it at home depot or any decent hardware store. If you trying to shine the aluminum rather than degrease, maybe Mothers aluminum polish? It works wonders.

-Outlaw, Why? Because it can!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 12:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

this is gonna sound strange.......... but have you tried lemon juice???? we used to use it to get oxidation off of semi wheels and fuel tanks......... or go down to the local truckstop and see what the guys are using there
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 03:54 PM

I'm with you, MrSurly. If the owner cooked it like a "cured" cast iron pot, you'll be hard pressed to fix it.

Another nasty solution that does wonders is carb cleaner and a scrub brush but the fumes are terribly dangerous and you have to where gloves and goggles and you need fresh air.... And don't even think of spraying this stuff near a hot exhaust or electrical components! (may harm some plastics too)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 05:20 PM

Try toilet bowl cleaner, the kind with acid in it. Muratic acid works wonders for cleaning aluminum, and leaves it bright and shiny, but be careful of fumes, and wear rubber gloves!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

I'd love to have the block dipped, but the engine I am cleaning up is the ready to run spare. The previous owner was a mudder who forgot to hose it off at the end of each weekend. I guess I'll keep on working with brushes, Gunk, and try the muratic acid. Thanks for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode