How do you get a trouble code?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 05:46 PM
RedRock

How do you get a trouble code??

Will someone please explain a step by step method for finding out a trouble code. Also do you have a list or web site of what the codes mean.

I have almost replaced everything electrical on this truck. It might be time to find out about this code thing.

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 09:40 PM
Addict

Re: How do you get a trouble code??

ok, not sure what model you have but on mine, which is a 94, over next to the battery is a square female plug which has 4 slots. 2 at the top and 2 lower. With the ignition switch off and useing a jump wire, (I use a paper clip cut into with the ends filed flat) connect #2 and #3, which are at a diagonal (upper right to lower left). Then turn your switch to the on position and the check engine light should flash the codes that have been stored. If it flashes 1 2 (flash pause flash flash) then nothing is stored. If it flashes anything else then post it here and someone will look it up. Haynes has a list of codes in their book.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 11:38 PM
Can't Get Enough

Check this attachment for the '90 -'95 EFI model 1.3 diagnostic codes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 808307-1.3 codes.jpg (68.9 KB, 30 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 01:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

How do you get a trouble code for an \'87

I have an 87. I have not ben able to find any step by step info on trouble codes. Any help? Nothing I try seems to work.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 02:23 AM

what code is it?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 03:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

That's just it - I can't get a code. I should be able to get codes via the flashing light on the dash upon startup or something, but I'm not sure how to do it. Supposedly I can check the condition of my O2 sensor among other things.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 05:39 AM
Addict

what year model do you have? You are going to get the trouble codes out of a efi models, not the carb models.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 05:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

This is copied from the Haynes book

1 The Electronic Control Module (ECM) (computer) contains a built-in self-diagnosis system which detects and identifies malfunctions occurring in the engine management system. When the ECM detects a problem, three things happen: the Check Engine light comes on, the trouble is
identified and a diagnostic code is recorded and stored. The ECM stores the failure code assigned to the specific problem area until the diagnosis system is canceled by removing the diagnostic fuse on models so equipped or by removing the tail lamp fuse from the fuse block (later mod-
els).
2 The Check Engine warning light, which is located on the instrument panel, comes on when the ignition switch is turned to On and the engine is not running. When the engine is started, the warning light should go out. If the light remains on, the diagnosis system has detected a malfunction in the system.

Obtaining diagnosis code output (Refer to illustration 11.5)
3 To obtain an output of diagnostic codes, verify first that the battery voltage is above 11 volts, the throttle is fully closed, the transmission is in Neutral, the accessory switches are off and the engine is at normal operating temperature.
4 Turn the ignition switch to OFF. Do not start the engine. Caution: The ignition key must be in the OFF position when disconnecting or reconnecting power to the ECM.
5 On 1989 and later Sidekick/Tracker models and all Samurai models, insert the spare fuse into the diagnostic terminal of the fuse block.
On 1991 and later Sidekick and Tracker models, connect a jumper wire between the number 2 and 3 terminals of the Check connector located adjacent to the battery (see illustration).
6 Turn the ignition key ON. Read the diagnosis code as indicated by the number of flashes of the "Check Engine" light on the dash (see the accompanying chart). Normal system operation is indicated by Code
12 (no malfunctions) for all models. The "Check Engine" light displays a Code 12 by blinking the corresponding pattern one time only.
7 If there are any malfunctions in the system, their corresponding trouble codes are stored in computer memory and the light will blink the requisite number of times for the indicated trouble codes. If there's more than one trouble code in the memory, they'll be displayed in
numerical order (from lowest to highest) with a pause interval between each one. After the code with the largest number flashes has been displayed, there will be another pause and then the sequence will begin all over again.
8 To ensure correct interpretation of the blinking "Check Engine" light, watch carefully for the interval between the end of one code and the beginning of the next (otherwise, you will become confused by the relative length of the pause between flashes and misinterpret the codes). The pause between codes is longer than the pause between digits of the same code.
9 To cancel stored trouble codes, remove the cable from the battery negative terminal.
10 If the diagnosis code is not canceled it will be stored by the ECM and appear with any new codes in the event of future trouble.
11 Should it become necessary to work on engine components
requiring removal of the battery terminal, first check to see if a diagnostic code has been recorded.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 04:52 PM
RedRock

OK I found the plug by the battery and shorted 2 to 3. I don't have any check engine light at all. I tried putting a fuse in the diag fuse slot still nothing. I even purchased a Haynes book so I have pictures and everything. What's going wrong here?

By the way I do have two quick jolts out of the coil when I turn on the key. Then no more spark. New ECM and new coil.

Oldzuki in another post said to check the ballast resistor. Anyone know how to find and test this?

Help - Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode