Yota axle swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Yota axle swap

I am going to go spoa with my samurai and I plan on running 33's. With all of the talk bout samurai axle strength and a conversation with wander4x4 I think the yota axle swap might be for me. Got some little questions for you all though.
1. It sounds like the front end is pretty much bolt on, with the exception of the steering. I don't have power steering or any type of hy-steer. Will a a zbar work for this?

2. I read that the brake lines are the same thread pattern, so will my samurai soft lines bolt onto the yota front brakes?

3. Read something bout the castor not being proper?

4. For the rear it is my understanding that you need to move the pads inboard about an inch. So will a generic confer spring pad work?
5. The only other question I have is about the ebrake. Will the samurai ebrake work or do I need to pull the yota one?

I got almost all of my info from Brain's website and azrockcrawlers. The swap sounds like it has to many advatages to not do it. Better braking, the pads are already above the axles, wider stance, and it's a bolt in gear reduction for me as I have stock ring and pinion's.
Feel free to comment and make any other suggestions.
thanks shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 03:18 PM

Re: Yota axle swap

every front steer set up I have seen has always been a hy steer with a z link or something like that, yes brake lines will work in fact you can double them with yotas if you get them otherwise you will prolly have to trick some up!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 04:03 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I need to update my web-page, but you can use the stock e-brake. I just extended one side and made it fit! Kinda hard to explain, but it worked. If you try to connect the wires on the wheel it will come up short. You might beable to use the stock yota one? I didn't have it so I never tryed.
Brake lines will fit! I used the napa ones that everyone has. I have the part number for them if you need it. They are long, rears are 23" and fronts are around 21"
The rear spring pad will need to be moved inward 1" like you said. I got mine from summit racing, click on link to check it out...
<a target="_blank" href=http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=search.asp%3FType%3Dbykeyword%2 6Part%3Daxle%20spring%20pad%26Search.x%3D1%26Searc hType%3DBoth>http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=search.asp%3FType%3Dbykeyword%2 6Part%3Daxle%20spring%20pad%26Search.x%3D1%26Searc hType%3DBoth</a>
Steering will be what ever you want. I know DP had a Z-bar on his, but I made my own half arsed x-over steering set-up. Used a stock yota drag link and made it shorter, connected it to the steering box and steering arm and Works good... was easy to make too. Check out web-page for more info and pic's of it.
Like I said I need to get off my lazy duff and get it updated, I keep saying I'm going to do it, but something else comes up! Sorry!
Anymore info about it, just e-mail and I'll try to help ya out as much as I can!
Later

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks alot Brian. You have one heck of a web site. I imagine I'll be emailing you when I start the swap. Seems pretty much straight forward except the steering. I have also been reading about people using a stock yota front CV shaft that is supposed to work perfect for the rear in this set-up. Any one else hear of that?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 08:10 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Yeah that is what I was told about the CV shaft. But, since I've got GM tanny and Jeep t-case, I couldn't use it! e-mail me with any question you have.
Later
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 08:31 PM
Addict

ANyone know what the pinion length is for the toyotas compared to the sammi? I just spent $$ on new arizona drivelines and want to make sure they will be the right length if i decide to change axles. D44 pinion length would be nice too if anyone knows.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 08:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

just a quick eyeballing of the pinion length, my Land Cruiser axles only look to be about an inch or so longer, pick-up axles should be less then that
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 09:30 PM
Wyld_Bill

I've got a Yota axle &amp; a few Zook axles in the yard. If I get a chance I'll measure tomorrow.
My Yota swap is not done yet but some interesting things that I have learned so far:
You can torch off the stock spring saddles &amp; just move them &amp; reuse them.
If you have a PRE 88-1/2 Zook you need to change rear axles to a "two pipe left/right" brake set up OR change brake set up on Zook.
On front brakes there is a solid brake line from the caliper to a bracket at the top of the backing plate. from here there is a soft line (internal flare) to the chasis (internal flare). So Zook front soft brake lines WON'T work.
Not all Yota axles have 4.10:1 R&amp;Ps (although MOST do) mine had 3.90:1 R&amp;Ps. DOH!!!
You can make your own knuckle over (Breeze type) steering setup using a a spare Yota steering arm.
The Yota hubs are Asin hubs almost exactly the same as the Zook ones.
If you look around you can buy a whole entire rust bucket Yota PU for $150 but if you don't spend time asking around, just one used front axle alone will run you about $250.
The Yota d-shafts will not bolt up to a pre 88 Sami flange.
BTW, I had some 1/2" adapters made up at a machine shop
The rear drum brakes have over 30 moving pieces NOT INCLUDING the brake pads. Have fun rebuilding them!
The e-brake lever going through the rear brake backing plate likes to sieze in place &amp; when you try to get it moving the magnesium block that it's mounted in breaks!
BTW, for the last two reasons among others, I'm swapping in rear disk brakes.
If you redrill the holes, Tracker rotor will swap onto the rear axle flanges.
If you hack up a Samurai caliper mount bracket &amp; weld it onto the Yota axle tube you can bolt on Samurai calipers.
I need a garage to do this swap in.
There's probably more,........It's getting late here on the right coast.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 09:51 PM

Wild_Bill, It sounds like you had the same troubles as I did. I bought a Yota front driveshaft when I bought my Yota axles and cut it to length for the rear. I did a cheap front driveshaft. I built it from square tubing 2" by 1/4" and I have unlimited slip length. Just watch it around the rocks. I used my z-link and rotated the drag link 180 degrees. The hole for the stablizer lines up. I removed the tierod fitting and installed a heim joint fitting. It works great, NOTE: this is not a street machine kids! E-brake was easy exept for those cheap a$$ e-brake mounts on the Yota axles.
Also remember you'll need new wheels.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 09:56 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Opps, wyldbill is right! The front stock brake lines won't work. I was wrong, sorry! You can use your longer rears for the front! That will work! But, like I said... I have the Napa part numbers for the brake lines and all the jazz at the house. I wasn't thinking before, guess today at the fire dept. was stressful! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode