shockless Yj set-up....yay or nay?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2002, 12:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

shockless Yj set-up....yay or nay??

I was scamming through this petersons 4wheel drive mag and in the readers rigs there is this guy with jeep wrangler front springs and rear springs....tricky thing was he had no front shocks! Is this a good idea or should you have shocks seems like it would be bouncy but then again I am askng cause I dont know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2002, 01:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: shockless Yj set-up....yay or nay??

NAY! First off, it would murder the springs. And why would you do it in the front when thats the heaviest part of the truck and needs all the support it can get? And the ride would be horrible, and chances are youll bottom out pretty badly on larger bumps. It would also probably mess up your steering too and jam it all out of place. I could be wrong about all of this, but I don't think I am. Maybe I'll try it on a beater sometime and see what happens! Ahhhhh... I need a life!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2002, 02:11 AM
zukiman

Oh my god that would be a bouncy ride! And as soon as you tap the brake pedal, you'd lay the bumpstops down on the front axle. BAD idea!

I have the adjustable Rancho RS9000's with in-cab controls, and if nothing else this kit really teaches you what a difference the stiffness of shocks make as opposed to the stiffness of the springs. With these soft YJ springs, I can go from almost zero body control (with the shocks at "0") to kidney-busting rough (with the shocks at "5").

When do I want soft shocks? High-speed washboards or rough roads where ride quality is paramount to handling ability.

When do I want stiff shocks? Rockcrawling! Complete bounce control is very important when the vehicle's body heaves over big rocks or while climbing, descending, or sidehilling steep inclines. When you're at the edge of balance, the last thing you want is a bounce in the suspension to lay you on your side or tumble you down a hill.

What about normal public road driving? Depends on the condition of the road and the load in the vehicle, but from 2-4 is right. Adjust appropriately for body/wheel control and ride quality. Twisty roads and more weight like stiffer shocks, while smooth, straight roads ride better at a softer setting.

I would NEVER drive a vehicle on or off road without shocks. I've done it in the past, and it is VERY scary and VERY dangerous.

-- Geoff Beasley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2002, 02:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wow, the 9000's really make that much of a difference in the Samurai? I heard that they make the ride rough reguardless of the setting. I use them in my race truck and my other vehicles, but have hesitated to put them on the Zuk. How would they work with TJ coils? The coils might make the ride still, but maybe lowering the rating of the shock would make up the difference? Get back to me if you know, either in this post or mine I just posted about TJ coils. lol Thanks.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2002, 01:41 AM
zukiman

Trust me, Truckboy, the 9000's are no gimmick. At their stiffest setting, yes they are kidney-jarring rough. They get so stiff that without a load in the Zuk, it gets downright bouncy on the highway, especially around bumpy turns.

Conversely, at their softest setting it's almost like having no shocks at all. I get a slow oscillating "wallowing" over bumps on the highway, like a Cadillac or Lincoln.

And of course, there are several settings in-between those two extremes, so I can tailor the ride and handling to the needs of the terrain. For example, while rockcrawling I like to set the shocks to be as stiff as they can be, for maximum control of body motions. It keeps the tires firmly planted on the ground, with no "heaving" of the body on the suspension when going over large rocks. It also really helps in off-camber situations. Conversely, when travelling at high speeds along rocky, bumpy, or washboarded dirt/gravel roads, I set the shocks to their softest setting (unless there are jumps involved) and let the body float over the "siezuring" wheels and I hardly feel anything. I just have to watch it on corners, because the body lean is wicked! 1 (the softest setting) is really too soft for most situations; it's akin to driving with no shocks! If I plan to do any jumps, I stiffen the shocks to 3 or 4 (out of 5). Most highway driving is at 2 for freeway cruising, 3 for in-town driving, and 4 for windy mountain highways. If I'm towing my trailer or hauling several people or heavy gear, I'll stiffen the shocks by 1 setting.

That's the beauty of the extra-cost in-cab remote adjustment controls for the shocks. It allows me to change the stiffness of the shocks on the fly to whatever I want them to be. I don't have to stop the truck, get out, and crawl under my truck to adjust them, I just press a button on my dash. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] And I don't have to hope that some "automatically adjusting" shocks will adjust to the right valving. I just put the 9000's at what I want, and it just plain works. I've had them for about 3-4 years now, and they still work as good as new.

I know they're expensive, as is the in-cab remote kit, but it's worth every penny!!! I won't go back to regular shocks again!

-- Geoff Beasley
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2002, 01:48 AM

That is scary riding around with out shocks. Save your $$$ billy boy and get some 9000's. I know the DT8000's are nice as well. Anyone heard anything bad good or otherwise on the new pro-copm adjustables? Crappy as the rest of their products?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2002, 08:37 AM

I'm running YJ's and am having this death sway problem, i surely would have rolled it with no shcoks..!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2002, 07:45 PM

I'm running YJs and have DT prerunners on the front and Superlift Softrides on the rear. It is pretty soft on the street and I haven't wheeled it yet to tell you how it is on the rocks, but if I roll it at Suzuki's on the Rocks I'm sure zukiman will post the pics....LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode