"Fangs" question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 02:52 PM
tko

\"Fangs\" question

I am planning on a minor lift of 1" (from a 2" longer shackle). I have read a lot on this board regarding crappy approach angles. When the longer shackle is installed, does the clearance between the bottom of the shackle and the ground decrease? By how much?? The bottom of the shackle should be at the same level, with the extra length pushing the truck upwards. This should add 2" of clearance from my tire to fender, correct?? I am trying to picture this in my mind, but am only getting static.

I just replaced my 205's with 235's. I imagine that the extra height in tires would counteract the "fangs" effect of the shackle.

If anyone has a pic showing just how far down the fangs go, it would be helpful.

Thanks.
TKO
'92 Samurai
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 03:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: \"Fangs\" question

just to say I had fangs in fact really long ones but the fact is that all you have to do is put a bar or weld a square piece of tubing between the shackles so feel free to pick up a cheap pair of dicount auto parts lift shackles but remmember 2" lift is 5"es long and if you used the top hole on these shackles you would have a 4" shackle lift! as far as the stock shackles should no fang at all really!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 03:16 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: \"Fangs\" question

Well, actually, they just look like fangs. They don't really hang down any further, if your lowest bolt holes are in the springs. If you install 2" longer shackles, then your added lift will only be 1" because the amount is divided in half, because you are only lifting one end of the vehicle over the spring. (the other end is fixed/has no shackle). Just don't go too far, that can screw up your pinion angle and give you driveline problems. Can you say "Vibrations"?! [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
A 2" longer shackle, in my opinion, is the most that you would want to go to keep it safe and comfortable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode