Drop pitman..will that fix bumpsteer? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Drop pitman..will that fix bumpsteer?

I have a standerd spring over, ive bent the draglink to compinsate fer the lift but i still have bump steer.
will a drop pitman fix that ?
Or do i just have to live with it???? Dont have the money or time to do the cross over....Im sure this is a topic that has been done to daeth but i missed them......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 12:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Drop pitman..will that fix bumpsteer?

pits are a no go from what I was always told for some reason however when you want luxuries like that to be taken care of totally then sometimes oyu have to sacrifice time and money but I think if you ran one of those beefy emu stabalizers!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Do Sammi's have bumpsteer stock?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 01:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

sortta you see you gota remmember we are not driving a 30k SUV so some things you jsut gotta rough! when mine was stock it had very lil and I have drove a couple of SPOA and noticed that it would be nice to have something to prevent it you know Rocky Road is comming out with one that is suppossed to be cheaper than any other kit
just hold up I guess!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 05:30 AM
bneiman

Hey Rob here's my setup I was telling you about.(attachment) It absorbs my bumpsteer not to be confused with removing bumpsteer. The only way (I think) to take away bumpsteer corrctly is to change the geometry in the steering control setup like droping the drag link angle to be as close to parallel with the connecting rod below it. This is where I use the drop pitman to lower this angle somewhat. I'm not an expert on this though. What I do know is this setup works well enough that I don't even notice any bumpsteer. I'm satasfied with that.(I should add that I do not use a spoa. I have no binding under compression or hitting of any sort in left turns. Not sure whay droppits get such a bad rap.(other than the fact that there are better products for bumpsteer) If it ain't broke why fix it...

Attached Images
File Type: bmp 792596-P10100011.bmp (96.8 KB, 5 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 05:55 AM
Veteran

I'm currently running 3" lifted springs SPUA with a drop pitman arm and an Old Man Emu steering stabilizer, all from RRO. The bumpsteer is very bad. HTH
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 09:30 AM

A drop pit will help reduce it, but will not get rid of it completely. Should be good enough for a standard SPOA though. I have 6" of lift on my rig, use the Trail Tough cross-over setup, works great!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 09:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

1 thing you have to remember is that when you buy a 4" drop pitman you are only gettin an inch or 2 of correction..... the stock arm drops too..... so its not always worth the money.... check to see if you need more drop in your steering arm to make it paraell with the connecting arm .... and put a stabilizer back on it
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 09:40 AM

Save yer money for a crossover or a hi-steer setup, don't waste your time and money on drop pitmans and z-links, the difference is night and day. Not convinced try driving one, you can try out mine. I run a Breeze setup, no bumsteer at all, 4.5" SPOA, no stabalizer either steers like a dream.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 10:10 AM

I agree. There are times to save, and times to save up.
Don't go with a drop pitman arm for one very good reason. It will bind on your leaf spring under compression and left turns. NOT GOOD!!!!!!! Go Breeze, or crossover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode