Grand Vitara Timing Chain Tensioners - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 07:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Grand Vitara Timing Chain Tensioners

OK, well I've been working up to this for awhile. Here's the background. My wife's GV is making a thrashing bicycle-chain kind of sound. The dealer says it's the Timing Chain Tensioner Adjusters. They quoted $1,200 just for the labor!

I bought the FSM's for the GV, and started reading. These tensioners went out at 40,000 miles, and here we are at 80,000 miles, and they're out again. The FSM is a little bit umm "fragmented". By the time I figured out what's REALLY required to replace the THREE timing chain adjusters, I was a wee bit intimidated. To do the job "by the book", you end up taking out the front diff, the steering rack, and PS pump, the radiator, the intake manifold and head covers, and the oil pan. On one of the three timing chains, you have to remove the CAMSHAFTS to replace the chain.

I am gonna document the heck out of this job, with lists of Suzuki part numbers, photos, and drawings from the FSM. When I put all the FSM sections together, there are over 100 steps, just to get everything disassembled! If you own a GV with a 2.5 V6, this is something you're gonna have to live with.

Wish me luck!
Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 01:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Grand Vitara Timing Chain Tensioners

Let me know, I'm still waiting for mine to go. Thank gawd I bought the 100K mile warranty.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 02:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Tim!

Yeah, while I was at the dealer, I ordered the parts lists for the GV and the Sidekick as well. Here's how it's looking SO FAR - the gasket set alone is $200ish, and I'm going to replace all the chains, sprockets, and guides while I'm in there. Oh, and the water pump too ($120?). I figure it's gonna be almost a grand just in parts - maybe that's why they call it a GRAND Vitara? My write-up, when I get it done will have all the GSP part numbers, prices, and lots of digicam photos - I'll probably put it into .PDF format.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 03:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Ouch! Keep talkin' those kinda number$ and folks 'round here will be calling GV owners "upper crust snoots".
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 08:41 AM
GRW

That and it will change our minds about looking at one as a future purchase.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 11:58 AM
Enthusiast

Did they replace the first set under warranty??????If so they SHOULD also be doing this set for free as you have a documented problem with this truck
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 12:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Good luck with that! The second set lasted just as long as the first set. We tried that route. They look at it like it's a fan-belt or something...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode