stock flares, do I want them on or not? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 05:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

stock flares, do I want them on or not?

I was driving home from having my Suzuki off-road for the first time yesterday when all of a sudden the drivers front flare came flying off....pretty interesting when your driving with no doors [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] So anyway I spun around and picked it up....noticing the ugly metal "under-flare".

So the question is..do I want the flares on or not? The eventual plan is for 31 or 32s with a SPOA YJ lift. Texas has no flare law so I wouldn't be breaking any laws, mainly mildly concerned about flying mud/sand/etc from the tires coming into the passenger area.

Looking for opinions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 05:27 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: stock flares, do I want them on or not?

I'm getting these sometime this week, maybe tomorrow?
Click on link... <a target="_blank" href=http://www.trailtough.com/images/fenderrear2.jpg>http://www.trailtough.com/images/fenderrear2.jpg</a>
But, they might be too wide for ya? I know there are some other flares that arn't as wide out there. Or you could make your own out of lawn edge stuff, you know the black plastic stuff.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 06:26 PM

Just wack them off it'll give you a little more tire clearence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 06:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

brian do we have to run flares here in nc?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 07:01 PM

hey whats this - an officer of the law promoting whacking off in public!!! LOL

c.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 09:32 PM

LMAO-I guess I whacked right into that one huh? 8^)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 10:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

he he yall are to funy.....I took mine off alreayd mine were way to dinged up to be bondo'd so we did our best to take them off but the problem was we sortta damaged the zuks body a lil just tryin to get them off that is what we get for being a couple of im patient drunk rednecks
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 07:09 AM
Can't Get Enough

Well, my 33x13.5 Claws stick out past my flairs. I installed Jeep TJ flares on the rear and they cover the top of the wheel but I still kick up some mud on the lower part.
>mainly mildly concerned about flying mud/sand/etc from the tires coming into the passenger area. <
I do kick up a lot of mud from the front with the stock flares and it comes right in the cab with the windows open, worse when the doors are off. So I figure without any flares, you'll be getting dirty when you pass thru the mud!
[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] The way I see it... I ain't done working 'till all my tools are out of the toolbox and I ain't done wheeling 'till I'm dirty or somethin's broke.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 08:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Parttime, My understanding is in NC you are allowed 3 inches outside the wheel well, or flare as the case may be. Now as for my info, I have over 8 inches of tire outside the wheel well, with no flares at all. I live on the coast and pass policemen constantly with out ever a problem. I did have a policeman on a BMW bike, near Uwharrie, pull up beside me, look at me, then my tires, back at me, shake his head and rode off.
I would contact the DMV and ask, but they may not know for sure either, maybe ask for the law code number to print out for your dash.
Do not run the flares if you spend any time in the beach sand, I wouldn't even recommend them offroad, there is no way to wash everything out from under them and the rust WILL happen, and you won't know until it's too late.
HTH,
R/T
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 08:28 AM

My recommendation is some type of nerf bar or rock slider that will serve as a running board to protect you from what gets thrown up. I plan make a wide pair of rock sliders or purchase something similar to Petrowork's and than take in a plate to make it a solid barrier between the to bars.

I have 32X9.5 tsls pushed out an extra inch on each side by spidertrax's spacers. I bought calmini's extended flares to be legal and to be safe. But the rocks, mud, and water still come up into the cab due to the lift leaving so much of the tire exposed below the body. When I hang out my driver's side door and look down, there is still several inches of tire that has open season on the side of the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode