Who has a Lock Right in a Tracker/Sidekick? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2002, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Who has a Lock Right in a Tracker/Sidekick?

Not wanting to pay $500 for a factory limited slip or more than I paid for the entire vehicle for an ARB, I'm looking at the Lock Rights for the rear axle of my new to me Tracker.

Who has one and how do you like it?

How hard is the installation? Could a non-mechanic, oil changes and spark plugs, regular joe do it?

I went and tried to figure if my truck has ABS last night (really fast on a dirt road...........SLAM on the brakes.........feel for pulsating) and am 90% sure I don't have it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2002, 04:53 PM
Old Hand

Re: Who has a Lock Right in a Tracker/Sidekick?

I've had a Lock-right in mine for about 7 years with no problems. I replace the springs in the unit every 2 or 3 years which Powertrax has always sent to me at no cost. As far as the abs question: If you look at the rear carrier housing and if there are no wires running to a sensor which is attached into the housing you don't have abs. Also when you remove the carrier when you install the locker, which is an easy in the driveway install, you may see either a secondary ring gear running parralel with the ring gear, this indicates abs, or if one is not present.........no abs. Easy way to get answer would be call your local Suzuki/Chevy dealer parts department, give them the vin # and they can tell to if the vehicle is abs equiped or not.
Kerry @ SOS
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2002, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Hmmmmm.................maybe my ABS seach will take a little longer. I'll go check that stuff out.

How do you like the Lock Right for day to day driving, especially in slippery conditions? It will be my daily driver during the winter, so I don't want to be doing 360's every time it feels like locking with this 88" or so wheel base.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 01:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had one installed in the rear of my 92 Tracker. You have to learn to drive with them, i.e. push in the clutch for low speed turns. Its a little jerky but helps a LOT offroad.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

j762538, thanks, just what I was looking for.

I noticed Calmini advertises the Detroit Gearless Locker, which is supposed to be much smoother engaging than it's competitors. Hmmmmmmm...........................$100 more, but also might not catch me by surprise some cold, icy day.[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 01:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

even tho its more expesive..... check out the limited slip unit for 400.00 ..... was considering that for here in the snowy mtns of nc too
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

I owned a fullsize Chevy Blazer with a factory limited slip once, and wasn't terribly impressed with it offroad. If I got one tire in the air, it was spinning. Had to do the brake tap trick to get the damn thing to work, which led to several "pucker factor" moments.[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] So I'm a bit squeemish about limited slips.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode