can anyone make a cheap rear bumper? or thoughts? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 11:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

can anyone make a cheap rear bumper? or thoughts?

hi all, im lookin for a cheap rear bumper, but not stocker.
thought id ask here, since you guys know zuks better than the welders here, if anyone woudl be good enough to make me a rear bumper? or help me with one.

i want it nice and beefy, so when i get rear ended, it wont hurt too much hehe. but also, pretty cheap. dad said i can have some of the check from the collision. i figured id spend it on a rear bumper? or should i go with something else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 12:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: can anyone make a cheap rear bumper? or thoughts?

I was thinking about makin mine out of original steel pipe but when it came to the bends I was gonna put the exhaust bends from discount auto i once read this guy who used all exhaust pipn for his front bumper and it had a cushion effect but I dunno i just want the bends
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 01:06 PM

I'm personally going to buy Rocky Road's Crawler II rear bumper. Its the best looking bumper I've seen so far plus it comes standard w/ a 2inch receiver, which I'm going to need this summer when I'm pulling the uhaul behind my Zuk to Alaska. Wheelers Offroad makes a kick [censored] looking bumper, SUPER tough, but it costs $339. RRO Crawler II is $244, which is a decent price. Any aftermarket bumper for the rear won't really protect you in a wreck that much, they're just made for offroad abuse, all except for the wheelers offroad bumper. Its just as big as the stock except its pure 10guage steel and would definitely stop a car from denting you in. Wish I had the cash for it.

Tim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 01:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I MADE MINE OUT OF A PIECE OF STEEL 11/2"x 31/2"x 3/16" RECTANGULAR STOCK AND WELDED IT IN.COST ABOUT $12.OO.TOUGH AS HECK.I ADDED A PIECE OF 2"X1/4" TO THE BOTTOM FOR A RECIEVER HITCH.$2.00 AT THE LOCAL STEEL MILL.I BOUGHT SOME ROUND RECESSED LIGHTS AND MOUNTED THEM IN THE TAILGATE.LOOKS COOL AND THEY ARE OUT OF THE WAY.ABOUT $32.00 WITH THE TRAILER LIGHT CONVERSION THINGY FROM WALMART.SORRY NO PICS,IM COMPUTER ILLITERATE!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 03:26 PM

This is the cheapest prefabricated bumper I have seen. Although lights would have to be addressed.
http://www.davesport.com/suzuki/bumpers.html

For a bumper that takes stock lights and you can add a tire & carrier later, I think http://www.trailtough.com/ has a good product.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 03:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

looks easy enough to make say how inthe heck do guys put the lights in there rear door like that I like the way it looks!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 04:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How do they put lights in...well 2 things are needed, first is patience, the second power tools...as in drill and jig saw or a dremel tool with the rotary accesories.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 04:38 PM
Veteran

I did mine for <$100 using Rock Road's bumper blank and 2 6" pieces of 4x4 angle iron for a mounting bracket. You have to be able to weld though.

I'll try to post a pic, but I've never done it here before. There are lots of pics here:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...threadid=56916

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 788596-overall.jpg (45.5 KB, 19 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 05:46 PM

5 inch C channle or 5 in square tube works well run a piece out from the original mount and weld the channel on top realy easy to do I will look for pix if you are interested
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 08:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

shrock, thats the style im tryin to go for, but also, look at this
<a target="_blank" href=http://www.roadlessgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&amp;Store_Code=RGL&amp;Pro duct_Code=X4107&amp;Category_Code=A>http://www.roadlessgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&amp;Store_Code=RGL&amp;Pro duct_Code=X4107&amp;Category_Code=A</a>

i like that one, i think im gonna get it... but how hard is it to hook up lights that arent stock? i dont want stock lights, gettin kinda tired of lookin at em... and easy to brake...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode