side kick third members - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Addict

side kick third members

Can some one set me stright.......If i heard right /??????
so i can get front third members from a sidekick and they will bolt right in my Sammi, front and rear and this will give me 5.12 "s???????? do i have this right?????????
do i have to get two fronts, because the rear kick will NOT fit???...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 12:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: side kick third members

yes that is right but the cases are aluminum so you better get some protection for your difs if you are a hard core off roader! they slide in as well as when you take the stock ones out!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 12:55 AM
Pooh-Bah

OK, this is from what I know the correct senerio

The front sidekick 3rd member up to I believe 97 will fit in the front samurai housing(only) the way it is. The problem with that is the aluminum housing is weak and will bust.

I believe the 98 and up kick front 3rd will bolt right into the samurai rear, but once again the aluminim housing will not stand up.

The front Sidekick gears(only) will fit into a samurai front or rear 3rd member, but require a diff can(to hold the spider shafts) and a ring gear spacer.

The Kick rear 3rd member will only fit the Kick rear or a Hybrid rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 07:50 AM

Dougo,
When you say that the Sidekick diffs are "weak and will not hold up", are you talking about rock crawling or on the highway? My senario is that I will be on the asphalt 70% of the time and the other 30% will be riding down muddy dirt roads at my hunting camp. Will they hold up to reasonable stress or will they grenade under normal driving conditions?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 09:03 AM

I've read through the past years posts on this topic and here's what I found:

kick/track front members don't have oil hole to lube pinion bearing, so won't hold up in the rear under lots of use.

kick/track rear members are made of iron because aluminum housings won't hold up in the rear.

kick/track front members work OK in Samurai front unless locker is installed. Lockers create too much stress on aluminum third member and they break.

Best use of kick/track R&P is to install in Samurai third members using a ring spacer and diff' can kit such as supplied by any number of online parts suppliers.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 11:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Also, don't forget you have to get into the Sidekick 3rd member for some disassembly and install of the Samurai sidegears.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 11:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would just run a sidekick rear axle anyways arent they stronger??
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 11:31 AM
Old Hand

I've been running sidekick aluminum third members locked and/or spooled for 12 years now and have yet to have ever broken one myself. I have run them with 31-33 inch tires and 5:12 or 5:83 gears with no ill effects. I will say that I have seen and heard of them breaking though, but like I said I never have had a problem. Kerry @ SOS
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 01:09 PM
Pooh-Bah

>>I've been running sidekick aluminum third members locked and/or spooled for 12 years now and have yet to have ever broken one myself.<<

In a Samurai without the extra support mounts to help its rigidity, or in your Kick?

>>are you talking about rock crawling or on the highway?<<

Probably when you least expect it :-P .. I remember reading in a post a long while ago, that Justin D(amn him and this) Fender's Brother in Law Michael had used to run aluminum chunks front and rear I think.

I just dont like breaking things, and dont want to chance it espically with a known weak point, kind of the reason I made sure to put the gears in my samurai housing. I was going to run the aluminum housing, but heard of like 3 or 4 busts the few months prior to last years MELT.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2002, 08:31 AM

Kerry. No problems with the missing oil hole? Seems like 12 years would be a long time to run without lube. I haven't actually looked at one of these yet; just going from research of past posts. Is this hole something that can be drilled into the track/kick member?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode