Stereo Amp installation - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Stereo Amp installation

Looking at putting an amp and sub into the zook.
Has anyone here installed an amp before? What do you think would be the best place, and how should i install it? I'm thinking under one of the seats (driver or pass??)... and i'm wondering if there is anyone to keep it down other than drilling though the floorboard... i don't want to do that because no matter what i do, water will somehow find its way in. So if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 09:34 AM
tko

Re: Stereo Amp installation

Hello,

Hey, this is the first post for me!! I have been following this group for awhile now and gained a lot of good knowledge.

I very recently installed a sub and amp in my '92 Samurai. I put the 250-W amp under the driver's seat. I also did not want to drill any holes in the floor. What I did was mount the amp to a piece of thin fibreboard (with spacers between the amp and board to allow air cooling), and covered the bottom of the fibreboard with the hook side of velcro. This seems to grab the carpet under the seat quite well and does not bounce around (mind you I am not a very hard-core offroader and just do the occasional riverbed trails).

I built a custom box for the sub and mounted it to the tailgate. This worked well cause I didn't loose much storage area in the back.

If you are interested I can post some pics.

TKO
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

i'm very interested in pics...

please post them

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 11:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

well you see when it comes to stereo equipment you should mount your amp as close to the subs as possible so it is more crisp ( stereo wires should not have to travel to far!) I tried to mount my amp on my roll cage......this would work but dont rap the wires around the cage and again you need to keep the wires as close as possible if I were you I would either mount it straight to the box or I would mount it in the back rear corner of the zuk! Ya it took me some learning that trail rigs dont need that kind of stuff it will either get ruined or stolen like mine! But I think it is a lesson we all have to learn [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

which is exactly why i want to mount it under the seat... for protection from the elements and from theft...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 11:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

well you see I had mine bolted under my rear seat......that did not decide to stop them from doing it in my front yard! My first plan was to raise the rear seat a lil bit and put the box and amp bolted seperately but that did not seem to stop them..........lil f#$#%$ did it right in my yard!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 01:17 PM
Enthusiast

i mounted a small JBL (2x25) on the firewall just above the package tray. it was a perfect fit. when my cd player and truck speakers(rocford fosgate 8") were stolen, i took it back out. my insurance company gave almost $460 as replacement value and i spent that on an ARB bumper instead of replacing my stolen equipment. now i have an old toyota casette deck and some new pioneer 6.5" speakers in the factory location.
btw, when i went to get speakers, i was told that i could only fit 5 1/4" . the pioneers are shallow surface mounts and sound great. if anyone is interested in a jbl amp- i have two, 2x25 and 2x75, or a jbl two way crossover i have one of each make an offer.
they are a few years old, sound great. a little scratched from use, but in great shape overall.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 03:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

true on that I have a 20 dollar tape deck from discount auto and some 10 dollar each speakers.......not boomers but it does the trick!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 03:59 PM

The tailgate would be an IDEAL PLACE for the woofers! What ype did you get? they have to be pretty slimline to go there. I would love some pics of your install. I was thinking of putting a tube behind my seat, but once again, storage space. Please post pics!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 04:20 PM
tko

Here is the pic of my attempt at the sub box in the tailgate. The sub I installed was a Jensen 10" sub.

I made the extended part of the box about 4.5" deep, and the tailgate itself (which makes the back of the box) is about 2" deep, making a total of about 6.5" deep. I made the footprint of box the same size as the middle "section" of the tailgate. Bigger boxes are typically used, but I made a compromise so I didn't loose a lot of cargo space. With a lot of screws and silicon I made a sealed box and fastened it to the tailgate. I carpeted the section near the hinges and glued this on, and used velcro for the section near the tailgate handle. Behind this carpet is a great area to hide my booster cables (ok, I'm Canadian - booster cables are a staple here).

One added benefit to mounting it in the tailgate and covering it with carpeting is that when the rear seat is down, you can not even see the sub (unless you look real close). Hopefully this can help discourage any thieves.

TKO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 787707-sub.jpg (74.5 KB, 10 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode