auto tranny, gearing, and power ?'s with 33's - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

auto tranny, gearing, and power ?\'s with 33\'s

Hey guys,
I have a 1.6L 8v with a 5 spd 2wd tranny that I was goin to put in my sami, but I would like to have it automatic now. I realize that there is a power loss and more trimming of the tranny tunnel, that's okay, I can deal with that. My 1st question is: will a 4 spd auto out of a track/kick bolt to the 8v engine I have? 2nd: if so are there any wires and ecus that need hooked to it? 3rd: What kind of gearing should I make the r&p's, I am going to get a 4.16 case also, for the track/kick 4 spd auto and 33's? My sami will be 90% to 95% daily driven, with maybe a john boat behind it as well, so I'm looking for mainly speed. 4th: if I go with a track/kick 3 spd auto, what r&p's would be best? 5th: for the fellas who run an Asian Auto Parts head on there rig, is the power gained worth the cost, or if you had it to do over again would you swap in a larger engine? For example does a sumo 2 head on a 1.3 run like a 1.6 8v or a sumo 2 on a 1.6 8v run like a 16v, and so on? Okay that should be it. Answers, thoughts, ideas, 2 cents, etc, ect, every reply is very helpful and deeply appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Re: auto tranny, gearing, and power ?\'s with 33\'s

anyone?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 12:05 AM

if no-one else is going to answer...

drew, I run a Mercedes 4 speed non OD auto in my setup. the torque convertor, and slight slippage at highway speeds mean you can get away with higher ( numerically lower) gearing. you'll lose anywhere from 3, to 10 HP through an automatic, which can really hit you hard if your motor is older, or 'weak' for some reason.

basic numbers for my diesel are 3500 rpms @ 110 kph ( 70 mph), using a 1:1 high range case, and 4.10 axle gears on 29.5 " ( actual size) tires. If you can stand the though, aim for around 4000 rpm @ 100-110 kph ( 60-70 mph), and you should be well within the powerband.

Flipside is, I have no idea how strong the Suzuki autos are. the Mercedes units I run are good to 250 HP or so, under 4500 lb cars, so they're very under-stressed for how I use tham. Knowing how much the trackers/kicks were cut down for weight 'suspect' you'd be burning out the bands and / or cracking clutch packs fairly quickly with 33" tires, but thtas just opinion,

c.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Well the motor runs really good in the tracker (stock gears, 5 spd, rwd, stock tires), but that is a reason why I'm asking about the sumo heads, I'm thinkin about puttin a sumo 2 head on the it, for that extra power to tow and run an auto tranny. I just wanted to hear from some of the guys that ran them. I was also just trying to deside if I should just stick with the track/kick 5 spd. I'm goin to do some work in gettin it to fit, so I figure why not get a little more back out of what you put into it, and go auto. Thanks for the info Wanderer, anyone else? Thanks,
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 07:54 PM

Are you going to go carbed or efi on your swap? As far as the auto tranny's go I would go w/ the 4 speed it's a much better tranny. I don't have a sumo head but I doubt it would make as much power on an 8V as just a stock 16 valve. I just got 1.6 swapped into mine. I have 30.8" tires(actual measurement) stock ring and pinons, stock x-fer, with a weber and a free flow exaust. It has plenty of power now, but I think with bigger tires or carrying a load it would bog out. My best advice would be to just keep the manual tranny and swap in some lower gears into the diffs. I think then you would be much happier.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2002, 02:22 AM Thread Starter

Well I'd like to stay efi, but if the head would work better with a carb, I have been concidering selling both my efi setups and then try and find a dual sidedraft setup. I like the efi for it's reliablity though. This is why I'm wanting to here from a few of the guys running the sumo heads, to get an idea how they like em and what setups they run and so on. I will be getting gears for the diffs, but I just don't know which ones, 4.68's, 5.38's, get hybrid axles with 4.89's or 5.13's, don't know, just trin to figure out a good combination of what tranny with what gears. All for daily driving with average speed ranges (not a sami's average speed range, but every other cars in the world). You know not the best accylleration in the world, just okay, no race car, and not the slowest car on the road, maybe a top speed of 85 mph and be able to criuse at 70 mph without the rpms bein sky high. Thanks for the help,
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2002, 02:28 AM

I don't have a tack but I was able to max out at 85 with my stock gears on the 1.6 8V carbed w/weber. For 33's you would need at least 5.13's. Then you would be fine, I would try to stay FI if you have it. I wish I did.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2002, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

anyone else? note, I'll be running a 4.16 t-case and will prolly stick with efi, unless someone with a sumo head feels that carb would be better to add even more power. Thanks for the replies,
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2002, 01:43 AM

As far as I know you can run the sumo head and efi.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2002, 06:58 AM

Anyone know the gear ratios in the autos?

With the 3 spd auto you'd have a 4.62 alxe stock in a kick
In your sammy with a 4.16 case you'd be at 5.89's (3.73 * 1.58) which is pretty close gearing given the difference in tire size. I was comaporing the 1:1 4th gear to the 1:1 top gear of the auto, not and OD taken into account. If anyone has the ratios for the OD in the 4 speed auto I can recaluculate using the OD also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode