Help!! Need help w/ Clutch/Tracker ASAP - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Help!! Need help w/ Clutch/Tracker ASAP

I have a 95 tracker 2dr/2wd, and on the way to work this morning I got about half way there and Have a problem with the clutch. I can release the clutch pedal when it's any of the gears and it will not move, also it will just idle with the clutch released and not stall as it would normally without moving. When my wife picked me up to take me to work, I had her press in the clutch pedal while I looked under the truck to make sure the cable was working. The cable moves with the clutch pedal and moves the clutch arm about 1/2". Is this the normal amount of movement for the arm, and if not what is the normal amount of movement for it? It seems like the clutch is always engaged and not releasing. I also could smell a burnt smell. Do I need to replace the whole clutch set or just a flywheel or something? , I was planning on later this summer when I had the money putting in a new and better clutch, but money is really tight today and I need to get it going ASAP,since it's my daily driver and my wife needs our other car for doctor's appts. since she pregnant with our second child. Thanks in advance. I hope it's something simple.
Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 09:49 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Help!! Need help w/ Clutch/Tracker ASAP

Either the throwout bearing is stuck on the shaft , or the disk burned out . You may get lucky and be able to knock it loose, but I'd say it's smoked...
Sarge
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 09:57 AM

Sarge has probably hit the nail on the head, (as usual). But from my own experience, I suggest before you ever tear the clutch apart, remove the clutch cable flange from the firewall. Check the firewall carefully for cracks in the sheetmetal. You may not be getting full release when you depress the clutch pedal because the firewall is flexing.

I found this out the hard/expensive way and later learned from a mechanic that specializes in clutch work & 4wd that he always checks for this in cars or trucks with cables before tearing a tranny out.

Fixing it is easy with some steel strap and a drill to reinforce the firewall if need be. Good Luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 10:45 AM
Way Outta Control

Firewall breakage is really common with cables - everyone should take a look BEFORE they have trouble. Just have someone push the clutch up and down while you watch the firewall. You'll be surprised how much it bends. Also watch the cable housing underneath. If it moves very much it should be clamped in place. Movement of the whole cable is wasted motion. You'll be surprised how much better the clutch feels after you clamp it - if it was moving.

But - if I interpret what you said, the vehicle won't move no matter what you do - and you smell it burning. So that means the clutch is constantly released. If there isn't something in the way of the cable holding it taught, then it's internal. Look all along the cable to make sure, and at the pedal pivot.
Make sure the cable has a tad of slack in it (pedal up), showing it's not the cable holding it released. Loosen the adjuster if needed.

If it's still "no move," you'll have to go inside. The T/O may have gotten stuck (dirt?) or the pressure plate assembly has grenaded. Sometimes a spring or something comes loose or breaks and jams so it stays released.
Good luck, Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode