body cracks at seat mounts - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 04:46 AM Thread Starter

body cracks at seat mounts

Is it a common problem for the sammys to have cracks form in the body where the front seats bolt down to the body?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 05:38 AM
Veteran

Re: body cracks at seat mounts

Apparently so, because mine is doing the same thing. It's cracking at the rear mounting bolt holes on both sides. I've been waiting for one of the aftermarket vendors to address this problem. The only solution I can see is to weld in a patch. Problem is, the metal is so thin it would probably just crack somewhere else. If you hear of a fix for this problem, please let me know!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 06:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I hadthesameproblem, I took two pieces of 4"x4", 3/8's inch metal, drilled holes in the four corners and another in the middle, I used theseto sandwich the broken metal, and bolted the seat through them. I then usedsome rtv to seal around themetal to keepthe rust level down.It has worked great for me for a year now. I weigh over 200lbs and bounce pretty hard out here on the sand, it has held up just fine.
Hope this helps,
R/T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 08:40 AM

I have seen this in two zuks that I have had.

First solution was to weld the crack, but that is a poor fix as it will crack again.

The problelm is the leverage us tall people put on the rear of the seat since it is usually scooted all the way back which puts all of our weight on a 7" lever torquing the back half of the seat every time we bounce.

I bought RCI seats, fab'd legs with larger feet that sit straight under the "load" they carry (and in between the humps on the floor). So far so good...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 08:53 AM
Veteran

I noticed the same thing when Herculining my interior last weekend. I MIG welded the crack before the goop went on. I am going to eventually get new seats. When I do I was going to put a plate on the back like others have suggested.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 09:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yup, mine too, im gonna try to get some rice burners seats in there,when i do, ill address that problem...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 12:24 AM

this must be an epidemic (excuse the spelling, righ parker LOL)

I have heard that crack kills, now I am going to have to check my rig and see if that is why I am starting to feel like one of those low rider seating people....

what have you all started... dang it, I am just getting my rig to where I want it and now you come up with mysterious cracks....

by the way, thanks for letting us all know... I don't usually look there...

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 01:35 AM
Alfie

Yeah, same here.
Passenger rear seat bolts.
Mine were cracked for years, kept meaning to fix it, but never did.
When they were so big it was scary I had someone tig in some plate over both areas. Before it became one area.
Kept the screw in bolt feature, but it will hold even a donut king now.
Alfie.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 02:21 AM
Old Hand

(((I've been waiting for one of the aftermarket vendors to address this problem)))

"Jenny Craig" diet plan....LOL

Spider Trax has adaptors for RCI seats....I think.

I like the Geo Metro seats myself....and fix the floor first if needed with a metal patch.....blah blah blah..

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 07:27 AM
Veteran

ROTFLMAO! Even with Jenny Craig, I'd never be as small as the Japanese people that these seats were designed for. If you get under the Zuk and look up, you'll see that the seat mounting bolts go through little steel tabs that are tacked onto a body support channel. It's a mystery to me why Suzuki didn't put the holes through the channel itself. Anyway, I'd like to see someone take a piece of 3/8" steel, about 4" wide and 5' long, and form it to fit the floorpan. It should go all the way across the floor from one door to the other, and have holes in it for the seat bolts. That way, the load would be spread out over a wider area and it would cover up the cracks we're all getting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode