york compressor on 1.3l - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 11:17 PM
Sami86

york compressor on 1.3l

I traded a guy some old spring purches for a york 210 compressor. I want to mount this in my sami on the 1.3l.

Anyone done this? Any pics or advise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 01:32 AM

Re: york compressor on 1.3l

I looked at doing it but there didn't seem to be enough
space in the engine compartment.Plus when the York kicked
in it would probably cut your top speed 10MPH.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 10:52 AM

you might be able to mount it above your exaust manifold on its side but if i remember right you have to modify the compressor to lay it on its side another thought would be to hook it up to an electric motor and place it some where else such as inside or some where underneath and it shouldnt be running unless you are needing air so top speed should not be affected
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 10:54 AM
Keyboard Implanted

IF you were to install some type of belt electric clutch, I think it'd work well.. Plumbing would be different though..
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 11:48 AM
Enthusiast

Is it a 2 cylinder pidton typr york.If so it makes a damn good air compressor due to the fact that it has a large oil sump built into it.I'd look into fabing some flat plate brackets out of 1/4 inch plate to mount it to the side of the block.The other option is to look at some mid 70's or earlier ford engines as a starting point as they used that type or compressor almost all of the time.DO BE CAREFUL on the lenth of the bolts that you use for mount it as the holes in the side of the unit are very shallow.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 12:03 PM
Sami86

yes, it is a dual piston, oil sump york. 10 cubic inch displacement. There is a lot of good info on http://www.onboardair.com but its info about mounting it to jeeps. Going to plumb it into two 2"x6"x25" tanks to give me 2.5gallons. Electrical and plumbing stuff will be no problem. Just concerned about the amount of space in the sami's engine compartment. I think I may need to cut a little out of the inner fender well and mount it on the drivers side.

It has an electric clutch on the compressor, so there will be no load inless I trun it on. Then it will only ingage if the pressure in the tanks falls below 80psi (via a pressure switch).

I got the mounting bolts that held it on the wagoneer that I got it out of, but I'll make sure I don't drive them too deep.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 04:35 AM
I Do This For The Glory

I have one I'm going to mount up to the Zuk, and was just looking at this. It looks like a little fabrication work is needed, but it'll fit.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 05:21 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Take a look at my onboard air project at

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.neh-tech.com/SSACCP.htm>http://www.neh-tech.com/SSACCP.htm</a>

for an example of a good working plumbing system.

If you like, I can mail you a template of the bolt pattern for a Samurai 1.3 bracket. That way, your fabbing of the bracket will be a bit easier.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 09:21 AM
Sami86

Thanks guys. I am going to fab up my own brackets; I need to mount the York compressor, a second altinator (that I converted to a welder), and leave enough room to mount power steering. I hope it will all fit!!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 10:08 AM

I have been thinking of doing the alternator converted to a welder idea as well, but here is an rather odd idea for the welder since it will hopefully not be used much. build a removable mount for it under the hood up high. so you open the hood install it then when done remove it. so the hood will close completely. this is what I will probably end up doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode