missing links or 3/4 elip - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 09:44 PM
monty

missing links or 3/4 elip

Hello
Has anyone done a 3/4 eliptical susp set up on the rear of there zuk ? If so how was it ? I am trying to decide weather to do that or missing links all round ? Any thoughs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 10:28 PM

Re: missing links or 3/4 elip

monty - not a Zuk, but the attached pic is the 3/4 liptic rear under my 80" wheelbase Series One Rover, which is originally about the size of an SJ 410. I actually extended the wheelbase to 92" when I added the 3/4 liptic, and went to 62" mains, and 24" inverted packs. as you can see from the pic, I used 'free' arch at rest so there's some compression in the inverted pack on bumps. I 'd experimented with missing links, etc, but found them noisy, and too abrupt on-road, especially on bad washboard, and 'ungraded' gravel roads. You can always lock the missing lnks out, but 3/4 liptic you get all the benefits without havign to worry about it.

ride, and handling ( with wishbone locating link) were incredibly good for a short wheelbase rig. flex is unreal.

chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 775577-34lipticsmall.jpg (15.8 KB, 4 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 09:24 AM
monty

Did you ever run it without the wishbone link ? how was it . This would be a trailered rig so on road ride is not important .

Monty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 09:56 AM

the wishbone was to make it legal'. I set it up so that the wishbone was the same length from axle center to frame as the main leaves at static ride height, which helps pottn the carrier at the t-case when the suspension droops.

on-road it made a big difference, especially on cloverleafs, and on-ramps, where you can build up some lateral g-force. 0ff road, it doesnt effect the flex at all, but does give better control on side hills, and prevents axle wrap.

I'll see if I can dig you up a pic of the wishbone - the way I set it up, the wishbone simply had a 1" rod coming out the end of it, while the axle housing had a massive spherical rod end (heim joint), as did the frame ends of the wishbone.

chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode