Shifter sheets and questionable mechanics (rant) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Shifter sheets and questionable mechanics (rant)

To my suprise, while visiting my sister in law, her best friend drives a samurai! COOL! We talk, and she admires the work I've done blah, blah, blah, and the subject comes around to both of us off roading somewhere...

"I can't"

"Why not? It will we great fun!"

"I took it off roading once and fried the transfer case. It cost my Dad $300 to have it rebuilt"

After asking what what "fried" meant, I gave my own diagnosis. ~ SHIFTER SHEET ~ $15 / $40 with labor.

This is the second person I have met that has payed A LOT of money for something so simple!

The other person's story is worse:
"Yeah, I owned one once... Bought it for under 2 grand and it was a blast never fixed a thing, only added oil. I had it for 2 years 'till the tranny locked up. The shop wanted $100 bucks for figuring out what was broken, which would have cost another $350 so I just signed it over to him."

Again I asked, "what locked up?" and it sounds like the shifter sheet took a dump.

Boo hiss on Suzuki for such a weak link (weaker than the birfields, I'd wager) and a bigger BOO HISS for the mechanics who give the rest a bad name through ignorance or flat out fraud!

...there, I feel better.

Thanks for reading,

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 10:44 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Shifter sheets and questionable mechanics (ran

No it's a Boo Hiss for dishonest mechanics. You very rarely hear about the good ones, but the bad ones stick in your mind.
Another problem most any sami/suzuki I have bought- Valves need to be adjusted. most mechs are used to hyd lifters, and don't think/don't bother to adjust the valves when a tuneup is done.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 11:35 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Shifter sheets and questionable mechanics (rant)

howdy,
sound like the mechanic charged for muffler bearings and new gear alignment for the transfer case to run right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 11:46 AM

I wouldn't blame all the mechanics. Remember that WE are familiar with these cars and being that there are so few Samurais around that are still worked on by mechanics it'd be safe to assume that MOST do not know about the shifter sheet problem.

I had been into Samurais for several years (before the internet) and had never encountered a stuck T-case. I bought a Sami with a bad T-case. I didn't know what was up with it and that was after YEARS of tinkering around with them. Rather than try to fix it I bought a used case from a salvage yard for $50.00.

Maybe this mechanic did in fact rebuild the case? $300.00 may seem steep to us but remember that WE have resourses that mechanics don't necessarily have. It'd waste their time to look up every conceivable problem with a car on the internet. They just do what we ask them to and if we assume the T-case needs rebuilding, and we ask for it then that's what they do.

Rather than rant I'd chalk it up to experience and just make sure I helped another "newbie" Samurai owner in the future.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 01:48 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Well the shop manual is a place to start, And I have gone through the commen Shop cd's most garages use, Most of the service manual is in it. (I was fixing the shop computer at the
time..) It comes down to this, most shops will just replace the unit. unit being tranmission, t-case whatever. they don't want to mess with repairs of said unit. There are of course exceptions to this. (This applies to western Mass.)
As a dyed in the wool motorhead you would be amazed at the amount of friends that have problems with mechs with ALL brands. But like I said you never hear of the good ones.
I have had the pleasure to know a few and call them friend.
(Hi Yankee Bob!) The only work I ever have done is tire mounting and spin balence and camber adjustment. The rest I do myself as I just don't trust anyone elses work that runs a shop around me.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 01:54 PM

Got a couple of good ones out my way. I just dropped the Sami off to get new front gaskets, seals and timing belt put on mine. They told me $150.00 for parts and labor. I've been going ot him for years. He's not perfect, he won't vacuum out your car before you pick it up and it'll probably have grease smears on parts of it but he is honest AND fast.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 02:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Thats good, once you find a good one use him and recommend him
to friends. Evan on simple things like alignments shops around here don't bother to center the steering wheel, Drives me bonkers..
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 02:17 PM

I'm going to expose myself here; again, as a left-leaning National Public Radio listener and more importantly, a fan of Car Talk. Its a weekly program ran by a couple of nutcase brothers and they talk about cars & repairs.

If you check out their website: www.cartalk.com, you will find a link to a place where you can recommend garages and mechanics that you have used. You can even specify the specialty of the garage (Sammis in this case) if you want.

I'd recommend it if you have had good luck someplace, pass it on!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 02:27 PM
Veteran

Some related hunor:

http://www.isuzu-suvs.com/duhhh.asf
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 02:48 PM

oh I dont know - dumb &%*% mechanics have their uses - I bought a VW rabbit off a mechanic once: 'auto, trannys shot, motor dying' - $300. one motor mount, linkage adjustment, and a band adjsutment later, and it ran like a clock. too bad he didnt know his job - but his loss was my gain 8^D

it does make you wonder what use a mechanics ticket actually is though!! what does it ACTUALLY mean these days? and not just mechanics, either - I'd guess every industry is ripe with guys who have 'papers', but no skills. Maybe its time to pull a (gasp) microsoft, invalidate all their licenses, and make them pass a new improved skills test. ....now how do you include an honesty factor into that????

the bad ones give everyone a bad name
c.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode