Tube/Pipe Bender - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 06:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tube/Pipe Bender

I am wondering if anyone has any experience or opinions on tube/pipe benders they could share with me.
I am planning to build a cage for my rig pretty darn soon and was considering picking up a cheap bender to make the nice rounded corners.
One that I have looked at (price seems too good to be true) is: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=32888 .

Tell me what you know/think about this or others....make me smarter (mostly a lost cause, but let's give it a go [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img])!

Thanks once again! (going to have to somehow 'dedicate' my Samurai to everyone here since they have helped soooo much with everything)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 06:59 AM

Re: Tube/Pipe Bender

Hey that looks cool ! Looks like I'm going to have to come and camp out at your place for a few days ! You weld too ? LOLOL
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 08:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

TRY NORTHERN TOOL CO. I THINK I SAW THE SAME BENDER FOR 79.99!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 08:12 AM
weirdwillie

I bought a harbor freight pipe bender (around $70 on sale for the 12-ton one). I used 1 1/4" schedule 40 pipe (about 1.6" outside diameter). The bender works very well. Just make sure you put a piece of steel plate (I used 1/4" thick plate) between the rollers and the pipe. This prevents the rollers from dimpling the pipe. The bends are probably not as uniform as a mandrel bender would produce, but I had no visible kinks or deformations. The pipe flattens out slightly in the bends, but the smallest diameter and the largest diameter of the bends are still within 90% of the standard pipe diameter (i.e., the pipe didn't flatten out too much). I attached a picture of the roll cage I made. I'm planning on adding on the front portion when I get some more free time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 774654-rollbar.jpg (52.4 KB, 34 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 08:22 AM
I Do This For The Glory

It'll work OK (not great, but it will work) if you're careful, use pipe (it's NOT a tubing bender), and don't try to do something it's no intended for. Here are some pics of the same bender after the guy tried bending some heavy wall pipe (sch 80 I think). It didn't like it, and started to crack the die. Just something to keep in mind. These rigs are also known for kinking the pipe, so be careful with them.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 11:13 AM
Pooh-Bah

Some said they have had good luck, I havent had a pipe yet that hasnt kinked, and I've tried everything suggested to prevent kinking.

here is a pic I posted some time back
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 12:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

JEEPN, I tried to bend a sch 80 pipe at work, no go, broke everthing in sight, showed my boss he was wrong, save youself a headache use a rose bud, won't a cage with sch80 pipe weigh more then the sammy? top heavy????????????????
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 01:13 PM

I was originally planning on getting the HF pipe bender. I ended up just biting the bullet and getting a JD2 instead.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 01:31 PM
GRW

What did the JD2 run you ?
I was told to stuff my pipe with wet sand, it help's.
If you take your time and take it easy you will have better luck.
Mine turned out ok, I will try to post a pic after I get home (for more than five minutes).
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 04:47 PM

I went with the model 3 for $235 and then got a 1" and a 1.5" die to go with it. So far with what I've done it's more than paid for itself since I didn't have to have someone else do the work for me.

I'm not sure if the HF bender will do the bends I needed also (2 80* "S" bends within 5 inches of each other).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode