Jeep owner with first Samurai.... few questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 08:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jeep owner with first Samurai.... few questions

I've been a jeep guy, but I just came into a samurai and have decided to give it a go and see what it can do. I'm doing a soa and am trying to decide on tires. What tire size can I reasonably run without trimming fenders, and what size without a TON of trimming? They springs are stock and there will be no other form of lift except the soa. Also, how big of a tire can I use without changing gears and not absolutely hate this thing offroad. I know I should change gears, but I just need to know what size I can use and not change.... but still do well offroad.
Thanks for any replies,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 08:33 PM

Re: Jeep owner with first Samurai.... few question

Brian- welcome welcome! Good to see not all Jeep guys hate our ZUKS. I really liked running my BFG MTA's they were 325x60's... Metric tire, they were about a 30.5" tire with a nice wide footprint to them. I do suggest getting a back spaced rim if you are replacing rims as well as tires. I ran those with stock gears, and didn't have any issues with rubbing other than the Lip of a seam there is on the front fender wells...most folks beat into submission with a BFG. hope that helps.
Rae
Trails Editor
IZOOK.COM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 08:41 PM

Re: Jeep owner with first Samurai.... few question

I would go with a set of 30x9.50 or 31x10.50 tires with a SOA. I really noticed a difference off road after I installed a set of 4.1 to 1 gears in the T-case. You will need the low range if you do any type of crawling. If you run a lot of mud gear the axles and leave the T-case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 08:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Jeep owner with first Samurai.... few questions

Welcome aboard! If you're going to do a spoa on your ZOOK you can run 31x10.50 if you beat the fender seam in with a hammer. I'd also suggest the 4.16 transfer case gear as it will correct for the 31's without having to do ring and pinions. Good luck!
ROB
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 08:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

P.S. where are you in PA?? I'm just south of the Mason-Dixon line in Bel Air,Maryland. P.M. me if you want a hand with the lift.
ROB
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 09:31 PM
Can't Get Enough

im not that far from you...im in Williamsport and Penn College of Technology
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 12:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm in Pittsburgh, pretty much right in it. The 4.16 or whatever transfer case ..... Is that a swap from a specific company, or what?
Thanks again,
Brian
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 01:39 AM

Most of the Suzuki shops carry them.
www.rocky-road.com
www.petroworks.com
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 09:37 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Welcome! There are a few of us Jeep owners on here as well.

A Zuk is kinda like a jeep, but different rules and sizes come into play, since it's so small. SOA will get you to 31's, which will do very well, and with a body lift you can get 32's or 33's to fit, but it will suck without a gearing change, so I'd stick to 31's. It's kinda hard to get used to, moving UP to 31's, and thinking it's a large tire, whereas a Jeep can fit 31's easily with no lift. BUT, a Zuk on 31's is like a Jeep on 33's, due to the short wheelbase, light weight, and small axle pumpkins. I am running 7"of lift on my Zuk, with 32" Swampers (which rub occasionally), and I can keep up with the Jeeps running Q78's (35's). It's kind of amazing, but once I hit the mud or a steep hill I'm done as I have no power. I do have the GRS I (4.16:1) T-case, but stock gearing in the axles.

If you're going SOA, you should consider moving the rear springs up front, getting some Jeep CJ front springs for the rear, and going Missing Links at both ends. The additional travel and flex will help greatly off-road, and it still pretty cheap.

I still have my Jeep as well, and I like both vehicles, don't get me wrong. I'm just impressed at how different each is in every situation. Sometimes the Zuk just sucks, sometimes the Jeep does, so neither is better and neither is worse, they're just different. To be honest the Zuk feels like a mini-tractor, it'll crawl anywhere and feels comical it's so small. Then again, I laugh when I have to back up all the time in the Jeep to fit between trees on a tight trail, and I can't tow the Jeep as it weighs as much as my tow vehicle due to all the modifications (about 4,500 lbs).
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 09:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

>I'm in Pittsburgh, pretty much right in it. The 4.16 or
>whatever transfer case ..... Is that a swap from a
>specific company, or what?
>Thanks again,

4.16 gears are installed into the transfer case. They correct your gearing/highway speed for tires in the 30-31" range. They run $399 and are pretty easy for most mechanically inclined folks to install.

If you have technical questions about the gears or SPOA lift, please feel free to drop us a line. We've been working with Samurais for 14 years now and can handle it all.
http://www.rocky-road.com/zukdrive.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode