Bigger Battery for my 1988 Suzuki Samurai... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Bigger Battery for my 1988 Suzuki Samurai...

I just installed a 55-amp alternator... and now I want to install a larger battery into my 1988 Suzuki Samurai... but the guys at the AutoZone just keep starin' at their computers and keep tryin' to sell me another OEM sized dinky little battery!! Please tell me what size battery will fit into my 1988 Samurai?? (ie. Group D for 1986- 1992 Ford products??? or Group Y for 1992-1997 Mopar products?? Please don't quote the groups I'm just makin' up as examples!!!)
Once I have the size, I plan to look for at least a 1000-amp unit...
Thanx, Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 01:41 PM

Re: Bigger Battery for my 1988 Suzuki Samurai...

Just measure out the battery tray and go to the auto parts place with the measurements. I went to a local tire shop and bought a Magnum brand battery, rated at 1050 and it's the biggest one that would fit! LOL Some shops wouldn't even sell me the larger ones saying it would void the batteries warranty. What a load...

Cheers!
Steve
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 04:13 PM

About the only thing to be wary of is the height of the battery. You don't want it to contact the hood. Maybe consider a side post so you can keep the top terminals capped, if there are any, and then get some bigass cables to go with it.

An alternative would be to contact Spidertrax or Trail Tough. They are both dealers for Optima batteries. Their internet sites may list batteries. I think both would advise you even if you didn't purchase from them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 08:38 PM
bulldogzook

LEE,GROUP SIZE 24, 65,35,25,58,26,DUAL POST(TOP/SIDEPOST) OR YOU CAN GO WITH THE OPTIMA SERIES.THERE ARE SOME MORE OR IS THIS ENOUGH? PS I SELL BATTERIES FOR A LIVING. IF YOU NEED ANY MORE HELP E-MAIL ME AND I'LL HELP YA OUT.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Yo Hemogoblin... Thanx for the info... I heard that same crap about voiding the warranty!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Yo Farther... Thanx for the advice... a side-post battery is definitely the way to go!!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 10:37 AM

I have herd not to use side terminal batterys for winching some where I used a standard terminal battery and used these adapters to make it a side terminal type I also put a plastic pannle on the underside of the hood so the dattery cant hit no matter what even if the hood gets crushed it still wont short out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 774826-battery and hood.jpg (25.2 KB, 9 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 11:39 AM
Enthusiast

Dual post red top optima.I use the top posts for the battery cables and the side post for some assecsories and the electric fan and sound system
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 11:55 AM

void the warrenty, what are they thinking, oh, sorry they were not thinking.....

you could put a very large amp battery in there, and it won't ruin your samurai...

the only time you would ever see that high of an amperage would be if your motor was locked and your starter tried to turn it, it would try till the battery gave it's peak cranking amps...
most of the time the battery would deliver the 30 amps or so that your motor needs to start...

one advantage of having such a large battery and high amperage capable of a battery is if it is rated at 7 years, you would most likely see 11 years of useage out of it before it dies..

my 7 year battery was going on 11 years of use when I took it out...

I agree, just measure out the size of the tray and tell the battery place here are the dimentions and I want an XXXX amperage of a battery...

don't even tell them what vehicle it is going in....

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 03:51 PM

I have one of those BIG Autozone Marine deep cycles in mine...GREEEAAATTTT...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode