Header question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 12:36 PM
woodcarver

Header question

I've seen some posts on the Doug Thorley (sp?) header and have seen the Calmini header that NCO sells. Is there a difference (besides the cost) and what are your impressions of these headers?
Thanks,
Mac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 12:40 PM

Re: Header question

DT is chrome and the Calmini isn't. All headers perform pretty much the same for our small engines. Only when you get into V8's does primary tube size matter. Of the 2, I'd go with DT....looks better ;-)

Cheers,
Steve
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 12:46 PM

I have the DT and I have no complaints. The chome is getting a little rusty but I didn't put it on for looks. I STRONGLY recommend staying away from Pacesetter-2 words, "THEY SUCK!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 12:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

this is very important in my belief, calmini is the only company that makes a header that has square ports...your exhuast ports on your head are also square...so dont buy a header with circle ports, get the calmini!!!

calmini is [] to [] others [] to 0

the calmini just makes since, but if you can find another company that makes square port headers and are cheaper go with them, the header itself isnt going to make that much of a difference it is the way it is going to seal....good luck!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 01:16 PM

In my opinion, the only headers you should be considering is the DT and Calmini. Both headers are what is called "tri Y". The major difference between the two is the DT is smog certified in California and the Calmini is not.

Another difference is the finish. The DT is chrome plated and the Calmini used to be alumacoat and I have heard they are now ceramic. As mentioned above the ports on the Calmini are square and the DT is round. Also the O2 senser fitting is in one of the primaries on the DT header and in the collector on the Calmini. I believe the collector location is better.

I have had both the DT header and the old alumacoat Calmini header and for my experience, it was more of an aesthetics upgrade than a performance upgrade. If you are looking for a performance upgrade, consider a full 2" manifold back system with a 2" cat and performance muffler and save some money.

If you live in California the only one to get is the DT to keep it smog legal. Although, you could get the sticker for the DT header and put it on your vehicle for the Calmini header. It would take a highly knowledgable smog tester to catch it.

I have to disagree with the poster above regarding primary size. A properly designed header includes consideration of primary length and cross section.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 01:34 PM

Indeed primary size is important, it is on evry engine, but when you only have a handfull of manufacturers for the Zuk's, they are all pretty much the same. At least that what I can gather. When you get into the V8's, where the cars are used for racing and high performance applications, you can get a HUGE variety of primary sizes ranging from 1 5/8 to 1 3/4", and beyond!. Now, those are different, with respect to the torque advantages. But on our Zuk's, the primary's are all the same (I think) regardless of the header. In that sense, the headers are the same.

Cheers,
Steve
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 03:43 PM
Skip

I went with the DT and am happy with it. I live in Wash State and we have to do a pollution test every 2 years. When they did the underhood check they noticed the header and asked to see the smog legal certification tag. If you live where they do smog checks take it into consideration
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 04:17 PM

True, if you have smog checks, you are stuck with the Thorley. If you don't, then the Calmini is the way to go. The former Calmini header was great, and now even better. The new finish is the chrome ceramic like the jet hot finish. It is a beauty. The Thorley has a industrial nickel finish, not chrome. It will rust eventually and stains very easily (ever had nickel chrome pipes on a motorcycle?). The old plasma coat/aluma coat Calmini was fantastic, and this is even better plus all the other tweaks made to improve over the old Thorley design, which by the way was headed up by Steve Kramer working directly with Thorley. The differences between the two were the improvements suggested over the years and never incorporated in the Thorley design. Hence when Steve started making his own, all the tweaks were included. I love my aluma coat, it is like teflon, NOTHING sticks to it and it looks the same as it did 2.5 years ago when I put it on. I can't wait to get the new header on my next truck this summer.

TGT - NCO
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 04:57 PM

I've been running the Calmini header since 1992 with no problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode