YJ Springs and RRO spring perches-will they work? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 05:30 PM
shoezuki

YJ Springs and RRO spring perches-will they work?

OK, I went and got the YJ springs, but now I am wondering if I need wider spring perches...before I weld the RRO 4.5's perches on I really would like to know if I am going to have problems with them. I really like the design, but they are made for the stock springs and not the YJ's..Am I going to set myself up for disaster if I keep the RRO's??

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 07:33 PM

Re: YJ Springs and RRO spring perches-will they work?

Yep. you need 2.5" pads.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 07:35 PM
shoezuki

Anyone know who makes the 2.5" pads??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 07:48 PM

Trail Tough. The have some real nice ones and the customer service can not be beat. I'm not sure if North Coast Off-road does or not?....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 08:09 PM

I don't think you need to change your spring perches. So what you'll have a 1/4" of spring hanging off each side of the perch that shouldn't hurt anything. A couple of guys I know run them like this with no problems. You will need to buy or make ubolt plates though.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 08:47 PM

You can run the RRO pads. I have a 4.5" RRO SPOA kit with my YJs and have had no problems. A 1/4" of overhang is OK for the pads and springs, you will not have any problems that I can think of.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 09:19 PM

I am ordering the RRO heavy duty perches and YJ Kit. It seems they think it is the way to go. Besides, it may be overkill, but I like those big wrap around perches.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 09:46 PM

You can get buy with alot of stuff. I'm kinda the expert at that. But really come on he hasn't welded the pads on yet, and he could sell them and get the right ones. With the Trail Tough ones you can put the axle pretty much where ever you want. With the RRO ones he has at this point, his axles are going to be moved and he won't have a good way of putting them where they should be. Plus the bigger pads will help prevent axle rap.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 01:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Standard 2" pads will work fine with the YJ springs.

With the Samurai springs and Samurai pads, you have a 2" contact patch. The same goes for the YJ springs, except you have a 1/4" overhang on either side.

I'd venture to say that most everyone doing the YJ spring swap is staying with a 2" wide pad.

If you have any questions on this, please feel free to contact us direct.
[email protected]

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 02:41 AM

I have not done the YJ conversion, so forgive me if I sound dumb but this is my line of thought. SPOA+YJ springs=mega amounts of travel. So far so good right? The fact that the springs are longer is what gives them there travel? Right? Longer springs lengthen your wheelbase? Right? So if you just have the basic RRO pads you will have to drill new locater holes, which from what I understand an 1" or so is ok, but after that it produces problems i.e. your weight not being distributed right on the axle. I'm not sure how far forward it will move each axle, but I know after 2" or so your front steering linkage will bind, unless you have a cross over steering system. In addition to having a awesome articulating suspension, your drivelines will now be stretched out because you lengthened your wheelbase. So something tells me you will need alot of drive line work. But maybe someone with experience with this lift could tell you more I am just going by what I've read.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode