I started a new post for this cause i didnt know who would view the other. Any tips on removal of the O2 sensor? I got the O2 socket from autozone and have sprayed the thing with WD-40, but it wont budge. I am going to go buy a breaker bar tonight, but wanted to know if anybosy new a secret or if i stood a chance of major damage by really leaning on the thing. I already start to lift the engine when i lean on it with my socket wrench.
1. Get yourself the correct size box end wrench to fit the 02 sensor.
2. Disconnect wire to O2 senser.
3. Take your heat shield off so you can get a good angle with the wrench.
4. Run the engine until the manifold is hot.
5. Thread the O2 senser wire through the box end wrench.
6. Hit the end of the wrench turning in a counter clock wise direction smartly with a 2 pound sledge hammer.
7. Use antiseize stuff when reassembly, making sure not to get any on the working part of the O2 senser.
Worked for me twice. Those split O2 senser sockets tend to open up when the senser is stuck. Putting a breaker bar on that split socket probably won't work. Then you have a new breaker bar and a POS broken split O2 socket.
Thanks for the advice. I started to buy the wrench, but didnt realize that 7/8 was the same as 22mm and figured Lowe's didnt carry the right wrench. I'll head back adn see what I can do, a big storm just hit charlotte while i was in lowe's trying to buy a breaker bar and kept me from getting it, maybe it was a sign from the autozone loaner gods.
I tried all the methods to remove mine, could not get it hot enough to loosen by running engine so heated it with MAPP gas torch a rapped it smartly with a blunt end punch and a 4LB hammer then went back to 22mm socket and breaker. It then came out easy,new one from Bosch has glass bead antisezie already applied. I was ready to remove manifold when it finnaly came loose.
ez as pie, just chopped off the old wire, fitted a deep socket, and with impact gun, it came loose. maybe its also cuz we dont get as much rust as you guys... also, a break over bar would work just as well, but chop that wire off, itll make it easier to fit socket around it.