master cylinder swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 01:06 PM
psf4x4

master cylinder swap

i just got a firebird mastercylinder and plan on putting it in i've heard that you need to cut the push rod. any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 01:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: master cylinder swap

This is the MC I used with my D44 setup. Didn't have to cut anything to make it fit though. I'd bolt it on first and see how it runs. Should do just fine for you. I had to file the 2 mounting holes open a bit more, but that was very minor and only took a few minutes.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 09:31 AM
psf4x4

thanks glen. i cleared the bolt holes and bolted it down and it felt good. i just wasn't sure if it would over stroke and mess something up. thanks for your help again. chris goldman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 09:35 AM

WHAT YEAR AND ALL INFO AND PICS PLEASE
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 07:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

YEP, need more info,thanks RR
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 09:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

This is a swap I originally did on my Samurai. The MC is off a 71 Firebird. There are two different ones available for that year. Get the one with the 1 1/8" bore, NOT the 1 1/4".

The only reason to do this mod is if you need more fluid displacement for your your vehicle. Works great! For anyone who's seen the Top Truck Challenge video for my year, I obliterated the competition in the braking test. Remember though, really only does any good if you have more fluid displacement needs.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 09:05 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Glen, are you talking about required displacement for disk rears, or just larger front calipers? Sounds like the larger bore would just speed up the actuation , and may cause premature wear or lockup . Let us know...
Sarge
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 09:15 AM
psf4x4

a 1980 pontiac firebird master cylinder. clearance the bolt holes and it fits right in. i'm running d44's so need more brake power. i have to rerun all new hard lines. they only thing i see being a pain in the arse is that the hard lines coming of the master cylinder are hugh. like 5/16 and 3/8. i don't know what size the flex lines are that go into the caliper are yet so i don't know how much i'll have to step it down. plus i'll need a couple of t's to split off the 2 lines out of the master cylinder into 4 lines for the calipers. i just have to hunt all that down and i'll be good. chris
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 09:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Whoops!!!

It was the 81 Firebird I originally used. 80 is probably the same too.

On my vehicle I had front and rear Cadillac disc brakes all around. The stock MC just wasn't pushing enough fluid to stop the vehicle.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 09:37 AM
psf4x4

what year is the master cylinder supposed to be. you told me 81 and then i got it and i was all wrong so then i went with the 80 model and it fit fine but the output holes are hugh. which is it the 71, 80 , or the 81. i'll use the 80 's model unless the output holes are smaller on the 71. chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode