a/c works to well ? 1989 GEO TRACKER - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2002, 06:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

a/c works to well ? 1989 GEO TRACKER

I just got this tracker and the a/c will not turn off the switch on the dash is ok I checked it with a test light Looking in the Haynes repair manual wireing system it looks like it may be a bad a/c amplifier? Has anyone run in to this problem ? or anyone know where the a/c amplifier is mounted? Thanks Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2002, 07:58 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: a/c works to well ? 1989 GEO TRACKER

Wow! It's A/C Sunday here at Offroad.com!

Try this:

there is a wire that connects the magnnetic clutch on the front of your AC compressor unit mounted on the driver's side of the engine up front. (The magnetic clutch engages the compressor to the drive pulley when you turn on the A/C) It may be black and has a snap connector somewhere on it. Disconnect this wire and then start your engine.

If you STILL get frosty-cold air with the air conditioner turned off, then you have a locked-up Compressor clutch!

Time to replace the compressor (unless anyone else out there has a way to fix a frozen clutch...)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2002, 08:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the reply, When I pull the dual pressure switch at the dryer the clutch will cut off. The compressor runs all the time when pluged back, It will not even cycle just runs and runs and runs. Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2002, 08:13 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Oops!

That's as far as my pea-brain can help... sounds like a sensor or something... good luck -- and back to the top of the post list!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2002, 10:33 PM

There is probably a thermostat on the evaporator, either stuck into the core, or in the airstream on the outlet side of the evaporator. Chances are it's stuck closed. This is probably the part you're looking at on the schematic. It's a PITA to get to.

The switch on the dryer is just a safety, it opens if the liquid line pressure goes too high, or if the charge is lost.

The thermostatic switch on the evaporator is what actually cycles the compressor.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 06:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Derek Thats the the path I staterd down But it looks like somewere there is a rely or what the Haynes manual calls an A/C Amplifier on the schematic where all the sensors and relays connect! And they hid it well. It may be up under the dash someplace. But there is a nest of relys back by the left tail lamp I found yesterday and I don't have a clue yet as to what there for. Thanks much Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode