Crapped out on the freeway, please help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 03:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Crapped out on the freeway, please help

I am all loaded up and headed to the mountains to camp and my samurai died on the freeway. It was running fine, but when it got warmed up, it lost all power. I stopped and looked under the hood and made sure all the vacuum lines were conected. Got on the freeway and it happened again. No problems idling, but when i rev it it stalls out. When it cooled down it ran just fine to the first exit. I got a tow truck to get me home. PLEASE, any suggestions would be great as i got this car for the job thats starts monday. woldnt mind at least saturday night camping as well..

thanks
kuriti
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 04:02 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Crapped out on the freeway, please help

Check the fluid levels, (Water,oil,gas,) make sure your fuel filter is clean, (Down on the frame rail.) check for vacuum leaks. make sure your timing is okay too. may want to pull your plugs and take a look, I had one crack once and it ran like heck above an idle.
Good luck
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 04:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Update, I just ran it for 30 minutes and i could not get it to repeat the problem. I even ran the air conditioner and added weight and still no problems. I dont get it.

Weasel, I just recently replaced the wires, plugs, cap and rotor, fuel filter, PCV valve and had the oil changed. My guess right now is maybe a clogged carberatuer injector. maybe it pulled through when i started it up after hanging out on the freeway. I just replaced the fuel filter this week and havent driven it much. I bought some gas additive to clean out the carb, so that might help. It doesnt seem to be a heat thing really. the two times it happened before it seem to need to stop and start over and it would run fine. DOes the particle-in-the-injector theory sound plausible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 05:13 PM

check cap rotor and coil herd of a problem that sounded just like this replaced the coil everthing was fine after that I think you can use a cheap aftermarket coil on the earlier modles I dont know about the later ones
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 05:18 PM

O2 sensor, going out.....

same exact thing happened to me...
checked out everything, and kept up on the maintence...

that O2 sensor was flakeing out on me.....

spent $35 for the boche one and put it in, no more problems...

good luck and hope you figure it out before the weekend is over, so you can have a fun weekend....
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 08:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

also, if something is in the carb, i heard that can happen. do the "Mexican test" or something like that... suction should pull whatever
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2002, 06:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

THanks to all of you who gave some advice. its saturday morning and we are headed to the mountains come hell or high water. I will perform the mexican tuneup and change the O2 Sensor. I needed to change that anyway, dont think the guy before me ever did. Is there a specific god to pray to concerning automotive reliability or suzukis specifically? Suzihama or something?

kuriti
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2002, 11:41 AM

Never rule out the egr valve mine got stuck and would not accelerate at all but would run fine at idle. Slapped on the weber took that emissions crap out of the loop and walla no more problems.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2002, 01:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My Zuk would barely run this morning. I checked all the obvious things and also bought a new fuel filter. When I removed the old filter, I looked through the little hole and it appeared that the filter element was gone. Looking into the new one I could clearly see a paper accordian style filter. Seems as though something dissolved the element in my old one. The new filter didn't solve the problem. I cleaned the carb to remove all that gunk and now it's fine. I use those Deutsch filters from AutoZone. Is there a better one that won't puke its guts into my fuel line and carb?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2002, 01:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

If you have your caddy converter on still, that might be a place to look also. It could be stopped up, or getting stopped up.
I had a car that would run fine cold, but as soon as the converter got hot, I would loose all of my power. I could never tell what it was until one night it was doing it, I poped the hood and saw this glowing red ball under there. I couldn't tell what it was during the day, but at night you can see hot the converter gets if it's stopped up.
Sorry so long, but it's just a thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode