Its too Loud!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2002, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Its too Loud!!

I drove my zuk to work again today. 50 miles one way. My exhaust on the toyota engine is just the stock manifold, 2 inch pipe thru the cat, and a flowmaster and out the back. First trip to work, noise wasnt as noticable, I was to nervous running with all the traffic at highway speeds. Today, I had to turn the radio up and listen to distortion that might have been music to come anywhere close to covering up the exhaust noise. Ive been running open headers on race cars for so long that I had just assumed a performance exhaust muffler would be quieter than this is.

What types of mufflers are you guys running? I dont want an exhaust system that is so quiet I can hear my lifters ticking, but it would be nice when I finally get to where my girlfriend can ride with me, that we can have a conversation without yelling.

THen again, Maybe I need to leave the exhaust alone hehehe.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2002, 11:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Its too Loud!!

Maybe you should change the title of this thread to...

I'M TOO OLD!!!

Just kidding.

Bob
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2002, 11:30 AM

I am running a header, cat and glass pack with the end of my exhaust pipe pointed down.

It isn't bad with the top off. The only time the noise bothers me is with the hard top on. Then it resonates at idle (mostly) and I can get a head ache in traffic [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ...but it is quite an attention getter at wide open throttle.

I have heard that the standard "turbo" muffler at Pep Boys or Auto Zone is a little more well mannered. I don't like the flow masters...

I stripped out all that tar stuff and threw away the carpet a long time ago.

I have also read from the people that bed-line the floor of their zooks that the thick stuff causes the Dbs to drop tremendously. But I don't want to add that kind of weight.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2002, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

DOHHHHH!!!

I expected that, or someone recommending an amp and better speakers LOL. It is extremely loud tho. It might be the fact im turning it 4000 rpm down the highway too. I just know the girlfriend is going to hate the noise.

Soooo, I cant help the age problem, what other kinds of performance mufflers can I choose from that might help the noise factor out? LOL

Jim
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2002, 11:33 AM
pugrocker

My rig is kinda loud too - especially at highway speed - if I can get up to highway speed - LOL! I have a Flowmaster too, might be the reason why. I am considering adding a resonated exhaust tip to the pipe to smooth out the exhaust note and tone it done a tad - not one of those huge coffee can things that you see on the import cars - a small one. (<a target="_blank" href=http://www.carparts.com/parts/newsearch2.asp?reflink=0-0-0-0-0&amp;sourceid=2&amp;parttypeid=3045&amp;itemid=11 073&amp;autoidsearch=YES>http://www.carparts.com/parts/newsearch2.asp?reflink=0-0-0-0-0&amp;sourceid=2&amp;parttypeid=3045&amp;itemid=11 073&amp;autoidsearch=YES</a>)

!~pUg~!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2002, 11:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

OK, I have the Calmini hi perf muffler on my 4-door Sidekick, and it's just barely louder than the factory muffler I have on my 2-door Sidekick.

They both have the Calmini headers and factory Cat's.

Bob
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2002, 12:14 PM

I've run Borla and Flowmaster on some of my other cars (real loud, and I love it!!!) but plan on using a Magnaflow muffler on my 4.3L conversion for the Zuk. From what I've heard, they aren't very loud but still have a nice sound you can notice. Plus they're stainless steel (304 or 409, your choice) which is always nice :-)
AND, they're not very much $$$. I'll have one in a few months so I could let you know then but until then, I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Steve
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2002, 12:26 PM
Enthusiast

i am running a generic glasspack with stock exhaust pipe and stock cat. i think it sounds really nice and have had several compliments, including from my wife.
the glasspack has a throaty buzz to it, not too loud, but sounds just right to me, not as loud as some of the lowered accords and civics around here and certainly not as expensive either, it was about $40 installed and the local exhaust shop.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2002, 12:28 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Where is your muffler mounted? My flowmaster is right under my seat, no caddy converter, and I have pipe running out the back of the sami and it's not to loud. I can still hear my radio, gears, tranny whine, U-joints...you get the picture...lol
One of the guy's here has his exaust ending with his flowmaster and it's pretty loud! But it sounds cool as hell!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2002, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

I attached a pic. Its right before the rear axle. Then the ehhaust exits out the rear of the sami. I could have it moved up closer to the engine.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 769324-sami shaft 3.jpg (44.1 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode