water pump - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 11:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

water pump

since im replacing the timing belt do you recomend replacing the pump? 1987 samurai
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 11:32 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: water pump

It's the easiest time to do it . Make sure to replace the o-ring behind it on the water tube .
Sarge
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2002, 12:25 PM
Veteran

I put a new timing belt and cover on my 1.3 while it was out of the Zuk. Three months later, the water pump went bad and I had to go through the whole process again. So yes, change your water pump too!
One more thing -- when you're removing the old gasket from the water pump mounting area, don't use a wire wheel on a drill (like I did.) The aluminum is very soft and the wire wheel will gouge it. Use some spray-on gasket remover or the nyloc disc Sarge uses. And I also recommend "Indian Head" gasket sealer on the water pump bolts and gasket. HTH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2002, 07:13 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Hah! I finally found the guy that uses that Indian Shellac (#5 gasket sealer) on water pumps. Ever try to get that stuff off? Go to an auto supply , and get a can of "The Right Stuff" . It's as close to liquid rubber you'll ever find . When used correctly, you can assemble a valve cover or fuel pump or water pump, oil pan , thermostat housing , ect. and fire the engine right up , no gasket , and no leaks , ever. Just remember to leave a little sticking out of the nozzle to get it flowing the next time, or it will set up inside the can . Most of the new engines are assembled with this adhesive, the only gasket used is on the head . About $12-15 at your favorite parts store .
Sarge
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2002, 09:52 PM
Veteran

Sarge, Please forgive me! I humbly accept your flogging. When I changed my water pump, I bought a can of "the right stuff" along with a bottle of "indian head". $15 for the former, $3 for the latter. I didn't want to open the can of "the right stuff" for something as small as a water pump, so I used the "indian head". It worked great! NO LEAKS whatsoever, even though I was re-using a 2nd hand gasket and I'd scratched my mounting surfaces pretty good with the wire wheel while removing my old gasket. No, I've never tried to remove the stuff. But if my new water pump lasts as long as I hope it does, I won't have to worry about it for at least 10 years! I'm saving my can of "the right stuff" for the next time I go through a transmission. The last time I did, I used Permatex "copper" hi-temp RTV on the sealing surfaces, and it leaked oil afterward.
PLEASE FORGIVE ME! I'M NOT WORTHY!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode