2wd low - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 02:39 PM
Kale

2wd low

I have a 92 samurai with non automatic hubs, Off road sometimes i will shift the tcase to 4wd low without locking the hubs in, essentially running 2wd low, is this okay? Am i hurting anything? It is useful is certain situations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 02:50 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: 2wd low

Not a good idea. You are supplying power to the front axle, but the hubs aren't connnected and you could grind/rub some components and wear them out or destroy them. Yes, for a small amount you can do it, but under pressure or twisted/turned, you could tear up your hubs. There is a conversion you can do to create a 2wd low in the transfer case.....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 03:24 PM
Enthusiast

I disagree with Scott_CJ8. I think this is a common Urban Myth. My logic is as follows:
With both front wheel hubs in the free wheel mode (they are unlocked), and the front axle has been engaged at the transfer case, the front differential now rotates. However, the front differential is not under any load, that is to say its not preforming any work. It just spins merrily along just like your 140 amp alternator does when your driving in the daytime and not using any lights, air conditioning or stereo amps.
Of course this additional rotating mass is consuming Horse Power from the engine. The differential is a sealed and lubricated unit so I don't see a problem there with no work happening, the differential is about ready to fall asleep. The same situation occurs when the front hubs are locked, but the transfer case is in 2 wheel drive. No work is being preformed, but it is consuming engine HP because of the drag caused by rotating the axles, front driveline and differential. Most 4x4 military vehicles (m38a1, M151, GammaGoats, M35 series, etc) do not come with lockout hubs, the front differential is always spinning, as are many All-Wheel-Drive cars.

Donald
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 03:34 PM

if you put the t-case in neutral, both the front shaft and the rear shaft spins...
this is what is happening when the rig is being towed...
so this would be the same concept as having it in 4wd low and not locking the hubs...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 07:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

good point but just for the safety and re assurance of it why dont you do it i mean the engine having to push the front d shaft to takes power to so you really are not gaining that much out of it I have talked to people that have done the 2wd option and say it is not hard there is a write up at
<a target="_blank" href=http://www.izook.com>www.izook.com</a>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 07:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

you know what ever happened to the auto hubs man I know they were a weak set-up but are they a used part only now??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode