can't get zuki back into 2WD - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 02:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

can\'t get zuki back into 2WD

HELP!!!

I haven't used 4WD for a few years but decided to shift into it while standing still in my drive. The hubs weren't locked but I didn't move. When I shifted it into 4WD the dash indicator lit up and everything seamed normal, however, when I shifted it back to 2WD it stuck in neutral and refuses to budge............

My neighbor's just did the same thing........

Your thoughts are truly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 02:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: can\'t get zuki back into 2WD

sounds like a tranny sheet is needed to me.....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 02:31 PM

Pull out the shifter to the t/c and get you a big screwdriver then use that to line up the shift rails. I had an old sammy that used to do that occasionally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 02:50 PM
Urban_Zuk

Definately sounds like a carroded tcase sheet. Here is a good website that helped me imensly. Easy install and fixed mine in less than an hour. http://www.off-road.com/suzuki/reviews/rrsheet.htm
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 03:53 PM

here is a picture of the shifter with the sheet that they are talking about at the bottom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 736303-TransferShifter2.jpg (15.4 KB, 0 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 10:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Great pic, Rich. The "sheet" that everyone is referring to is nothing more than a cup that the shifter ball rides upon. What happens is that they get worn, and allow the tip of the shifter to drop down too far, getting the shift forks out of sync. Remove the four boot bolts , and the knob. There is a wire ring on top of the tcase shifter tower that holds the rubber tower boot on. Squeeze the two ends of the ring to remove it and the boot. There is a ring retainer that keeps the shifter ball seated in the tower. If you use two large long screwdrivers , you can push down and rotate it 1/4 turn to unlock it . Once it's unlocked, you can remove the shifter stick.Just pull it straight up , and out of the way . Under that shifter ball is the offending sheet . If it's worn or torn at all , it needs to be replaced . If you look at the two shift rails , there is a half square cutout in the shafts . In the nuetral position , they should be lined up to form a square in the middle . If they are out of line, the sheet has allowed them to get out of sync. Just use one of those big screwdrivers to put them back in line, and replace the entire shifter assembly . Make sure the wire retainer fits into the groove to keep water and dirt out of the tcase . Have fun..
Sarge
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 09:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the help, I was able to fix my neighbors as well for only $15 bucks!!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 09:57 PM
Keyboard Implanted

In case someone looks at this thread in the future, here's an installation tip:

use one of those adjustable tightening tools for 4" angle grinders (the one you buy when you lose the first one...) to tighten the spring-loaded metal cup that holds the transfer case shifter in place.

This tool has two pins sticking out that, when properly spaced, make snapping the cup into place a, well, a snap!

Unfortunately, this method works best when the case has been removed. Use Sarge's screwdriver method if you are working with an installed unit.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 05:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

same thing happened to me, got some new t/c "sheets" or "ring" if you need a new please let me
know. I have them on my web site. Thanks
Rogue Suzuki
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 06:07 PM
shoezuki

Ack,

A nice set of needle nose pliers work too (open jaw the same diameter as the slots, insert and twist) Just thought I'd add my .0002 cents (yes the decimal place is correct)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode