performance cams - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2002, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

performance cams

the "search" section is out of order currently so i will ask for everyone's opinion.

well i just got my head set from asian auto parts in the mail yesterday, so i am in the process of finishing up my gti hybrid engine. anyway..before i put everything back together, i was thinking of getting a performance cam (1300 8 valve head) to help my highway driveability. i do NOT want my engine wheez out in the upper rpms. i have 5:12 gears w/31 inch tires so i am geared down so i need my engine still pull hard in the mid to upper rpms. i figure the mid-range regrind cam from asian auto would offer the best performance increase for the money.

what cams are you all running and how do they perform as far as highway driving? please tell me.

jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2002, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Re: performance cams

anyone??? come on, lots of you run aftermarket cams in your engines. which grind? how do you like it? anyone?

jerry
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2002, 08:08 PM

Im not much help about the cam but i do have a question for ya. I just ordered a head from asian auto parts, how long did it take for you to get your head? I was going to get one of there cams but decided not to. And it a complete head right rocker, and all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2002, 08:37 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I use the 330 grind from Isky and dual springs , oversized valves, ect . But , I also have 10.22:1 compression , and can take advantage of the cam's range and lift . This one runs between 2800-7200 rpm ,upper limit is 10,000rpm . Not really good for torque , more suited at high rpm shifts and upper range pull . I'd go ahead and use Dave's midrange grind , I hope you opted for the bigger exhaust valves . If you are getting a cam , it would be a good idea to order an adjustable cam sprocket as well . This way you can dial the cam into what the engine needs .
Sarge
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2002, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

thanks for replying..

i got a "head set" from asian auto..the complete top end gasket and seal kit which also includes valve stem seals. i am redoing the head myself with new stock size valves as i cannot do the modifications my self to the head to fit the larger exhaust valves and i am on the typical shoe string budget. might shave the head 20 thousanths though. the set took roughly 3 weeks to get after it was ordered. not bad.

sarge, so how do you like that top end isky cam? i wonder how that compares to aap's "full race" cam?

jerry
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2002, 09:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

dont know who but someone once told me they dont even start to kick in ti you get your gearing right
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2002, 09:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

It's similar to AAP's race cam , but a different lift and duration. The Isky 330 is as far as you can go with lift and duration without having to build a lot of other parts into the engine. I still need to dial mine in better , waiting on a cam sprocket. I love the way the cam helps it breathe, sometimes maybe a little too well . This cam really don't pull all that bad at low rpms, but you can notice a difference . I'd go with Dave's midrange for what you are building , he will tell you the same thing, give him a call .
Sarge
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2002, 09:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i just ordered the Asian Auto Sumo II head today with the low/mid cam 1500-5500...how long did it take you to recieve your head, i ordered mine by credit card...i need that thing to get here ASAP!!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 12:43 AM

I just ordered mine yesterday, buy phone. He told me it will take them about a week and a half to build it. So im hoping it doent take 3 weeks.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 01:31 AM

Believe it or not Brent at Trail Tough basically told me a Cam was a waste of time. He said you might gain some during the cams range but you loose alot more in other places. I kinda didn't understand that cause I know alot of people that run cams......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode