why is she idleing high? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

why is she idleing high?

Well, after the rebuild of 1.3 the old girl didn't idle right, it stalled and then wouldn't start back up. I had the carb rebuilt a total of three times, went through two rebuild kits and also has a new float. Tryin to get the stupit carb to work right. I diconected the 2 green and the yellow plugs that went to the carb and it suddenly smoothed out, but when idled at 800 rpm it still would get choked up and die. I then just turned the idle up to 1800 (I know a little high, but I wanted ti to be okay in the cold and not stall), never stalled since, even when cold, this all with the three plugs disconnected. Yesterday I found out that I had a few vacum hoses in the wrong places. I hooked them up the way they were supposed to be and it started to idle at 2500, then out of curiosity I hooked the three plugs together and the idle then rose to 3000 rpm. I tried to turn the idle down but it only went down to 2700 rpm, not good enough. I disconnected the plugs and down to 2000, it's now like this, I don't like it that high, the idle adjuster screw is out all the way. It runs a little better with all the vacumm hoses hooked up right, but with a 2000 rpm idle. What the heck can I do about this? Anyone ever have this problem? Is it okay to run it with those three plugs unplugged? What can be done to idle her down more? Sorry it's so long, but I wanted to get ever detail, so you all didn't have to ask for more info. If somethin ain't clear please ask me though. Hope ya can help, thanks, -Drew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 01:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: why is she idleing high?

have same prob;em!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 07:25 AM
Veteran

I'd like to help you, but I don't know how you could have "a few vacuum hoses in the wrong places". Do you have a hose routing sticker under your hood? If not, there's a picture at http://suzukijohn.hypermart.net/tech.htm Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

I hooked up the hoses, without the pic and saw that pic in another post and printed it out and then hooked them up to the right places. I had two hoses that weren't right. They were in eachothers place. Ya all new gaskets too. Also when I was messin with the idle screw, there was a little slack in the throtle cable. I'll try the adjustment on Suzuki Johns page to see what happens. Thanks, -Drew
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 01:21 PM

Drew,
I had the same problem as you do. I never did get it to idle right. I don't know if the carb was just shot or if the problem was the mechanic. After running it that way all through hunting season, I broke down and bought a pony carb. When I put the pony on, all my problems went out the window. She idles beautifully now and I don't have to worry about all those @%&! vacuum hoses anymore. For $100 I eliminated the problem. Unless you specifically want to keep the stock carb, I suggest replacing it. I think that most people on here will agree with this, you will be happier with a Weber or Pony carb in the long run. Just my two cents worth.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 02:03 PM

Hey Drew if ya go to a Pony I got one for sale for ya....
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

I will be selling my complete rebuilt 1.3, from carb to oil pan, after I get the 1.6 efi in my sami. I need the carb fixed so that it will sell better. I want it to idle right for the next guy, it runs great, it just don't idle right. I need to accomplish this in the quickest and cheapest way. What can I do? Is the pony carb my answer here? What do they go for? Is the istall easy or is there some fabbing needed? Thoughts, ideas, options, opinions, etc are all appericiated. Thanks, -Drew
P.S. the engine is for sale at: http://www.izook.com/cgi-bin/classif...uery=retrieval
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 04:29 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Just a note: you may want to start looking closer for a vacuum leak . Most engine idling problems are due to leaks, either internal or external. Since a carburetor works based on flow, a vacuum leak will raise the rpm's, and since the Hitachi is a computer-controlled carb, it will compensate the mixture with engine rpms. I usaully start by visually checking all hoses first , then use a can of carb cleaner and spray all connections , including mechanical ones like the base plate, ect. There is also a phenolic spacer underneath the stock carb , I've seen more than one of these crack and cause all kinds of problems .
Sarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode