droppin da tranny, any tips or tricks? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 09:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

droppin da tranny, any tips or tricks?

HI all, ive come to consult the great message board on dropping tranny to replace clutch.

any tips or tricks are greatly appreciated, and are all the bolts metric? dshafts is pretty hard to get off...

again, feel free to drop your .02 in!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 09:56 PM

Re: droppin da tranny, any tips or tricks?

Remove starter, clutch cable, front drive shaft, shaft between tranny t-case and the shifter. Unbolt tranny from block and remove rear tranny mount, slide tranny back and tilt side to side as needed to lower tranny to ground. All bolts are metric. Remove pressure plate and clutch. If you are pulling the fly wheel for resurfacing have someone hold back up on the bolt on the front of crank OR put 2 of the pressure plate bolts in the flywheel and use a pry bar placed between the 2 bolts for back up as you pull the flywheel bolts.While the flywheel is off replace the pilot bearing. Would also replace the throw out bearing before stabbing the tranny back in. Before putting the tranny back in cut approx 1/4" off the rear tranny mount bracket. This is the bracket/crossmember that is welded into the frame. Take the 1/4" off the front part( part of bracket facing to the front of the Zuk), in front of the bolt hole. This will make life ALOT easier when stabbing the tranny. good luck
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 10:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yesss thx slowpoke, i got both the haynes manual open and the FSM on the desk top open,

im a readin fool,

one thing i do hate is STRIPPIN THE BOLTS! GD!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 10:06 PM
Veteran

A six pack of cold beer will make the job easier! [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 10:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hehe, yo, i all ready got that! heck, the whole fridge is full of budweiser, and busch, and got Bacardi Silver, tastey

nah, i gots me Sprite hehe, but my heart is with the Canadians, Coke and Crown!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 10:26 PM

Another little tip ,when you get the tranny completely unbolted, stick a jack under front of engine. It will clear the flywheel enough to get tranny out.

Tom
lilsammy4x4 [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 10:31 PM
Veteran

Cool man! Heck, if I lived closer I'd come over and help you! Do yourself another favor and get rid of the Haynes manual. Mine said you had to remove the t-case from the Zuk before you could yank the tranny. That's BS! But you do have to yank the smallest driveshaft, and at least the diff. end of the front driveshaft, and (maybe) unbolt the exhaust pipe from the manifold. BTW, which bolts are you stripping? The driveshaft/flange bolts? Mine were chewed up too. I used a 12mm wrench on the bolt heads and vise-grips on the nuts (ouch). When I put everything back together, I used the old bolts but I bought new nuts & lockwashers. HTH

Oh yeah, Billybob says taking out a tranny is real easy if you roll the Zuk over on its side first! (LOL) [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 10:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ya, i knew i wouldnt have to take out the tcase, that was common sense. manifold looks likes its gonna be in the way, but it shouldnt be a problem

THOSWE ARE EXACTLY the bolts im stripping, well, its starting to.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 11:24 PM

Dont know if this will work for you but this is what i just did today while working on my zuk. I used the engine hoist to lift on the back of the motor to put the tranny in I guess you could lift on the front of the motor to try and drop the tranny I dont know, it worked for me. This might not be good for your engine mounts but I did not do it for to long!!! The four bolts holding the tranny are 14mm and the starter bolts are 12mm and by the way have fun with the starter bolt on the bottom. That bolt tends to make me cuss!!!! Have fun and good luck!!!!!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 11:42 PM

You shouldnt have to take any exhaust components off,I know I didnt mine.You do have to take the 2 bolts off where the cat-con is supported though.I found out the tranny really gets hung up on those thangs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode