Suspension Lifts - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Suspension Lifts

I have a question about suspension lifts which is still not clearly resolved after reviewing several hundred posts.

I have a 1987 Sammie Hardtop on which I want to run 33's. I am planning on installing 17 x 8 Weld Stonecrunchers with 3 5/16" backspacing and Spydertrax 1" spacers to push them out as far as possible. The tires are going to be ProComp 33 x 12.50 x 17 Mud Terrains.

The problem I have is that I don't want to do a body lift. I am planning on installing a Calmini C3 front bumper (or equivalent) and want to keep the bumper flush with the lower valence on the front end. I will probably also install a double tube rear bumper and don't want it hanging several inches below the body. In addition, I don't want gaps under the rear floor which appear to go hand in hand with a lift.

Anyone got any idea of how to get the necessary lift for 33's without a body lift and without losing a reasonably good on-the-road ride quality?

These may be unreasonable requirements, but I am trying to do a solid restoration while adding a killer off road capability.

Any help in selecting the right suspension lift would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 06:25 PM

Re: Suspension Lifts

First of all why are you going with 17" wheels? There won't be nearly as much sidewall so they won't flex out as well. Second I see your new to the board so I would check out the NCOffroad.com website. click on the tech section and it will have a good comparrison of lifts be sure to check out the article on the 6" rule.
You will need about 6-7" of lift. You can get this by going spring over with lift springs but the mods you'll have to make to run that type of suspension lift will add up quick. You'll need a cross over steering system, extended yokes and to achieve good flex your going to need some different drive shafts to avoid the bad angles you might have to get a cv type of drive shafts check out the sumo line. If you take it easy on the throttle and leave your diffs open you can probably get by with stock axles....for awhile. Oh yeah and to run the 33's you'll need to either regear in the diffs or in the x-fer.
Can any one think of anything else?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 07:33 PM
ronin

Why do you want to put rims that cost nearly $300 (plus another $50 per wheel for the spacers) a piece on an offroad vehicle? Granted, they look awesome, but I wouldn't want to bash those into a rock. It just seems like a waste of money that could be put towards all of the suspension, driveline, steering and gears you are gonna need to do this. Rocky Road has several SPOA kits complete with lifted springs that yield between 6-8" of lift depending on the configuration. But like Samurai202 said, you are also gonna need to re-gear and do something about the steering among other things. And you may want to beef your engine a little if it is still stock to give you a little extra power for those 33s.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.rocky-road.com>http://www.rocky-road.com</a>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 09:26 PM

OK reguardless of the wheel size your going to need a least 6" of lift if you don't wheel and 7"+ if you do wheel. I have 8" of lift and I'm still on 31"s(RRO SPOA + 1.5" lifted YJs) I plan on going to 33"s(on the garage floor) and I'll just fit for the kind of wheelin' I built the old girl for. I need lots of flex and low center of gravity for the rocks of the 'Con and such. The point I'm trying to make is, I could fit 36" tires under my zuk the way it sits, but I need articulation, so 33"s are the max. Do you want to run rocks or mud?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

I knew the wheels and tires would be a bit controversial, but part of what I am doing is for the awesome appearance. Sometimes it's worth a couple of grand simply to get the stares when people see it coming.

As for the results of the wheel and tire choice, I know that the final ratios will have to change to keep the engine near its optimal power band. I am also planning on a crossover steering system, so that is already budgeted in, as are new driveshafts.

The engine is going to get the standard carb, cam, header, and free flow exhaust treatment. I eventually would like to upgrade to a higher performance engine, even a 4.3, but I am really concerned about the balance of the vehicle with more weight over the front end. Over the past 15 years I have already found myself swapping ends numerous times and really don't think a (comparitively) lighter rear end is the answer.

Since everything with this wheel and tires selection is dependent upon clearance, and since I would rather not do a body lift, before I start spending those valuable dollars, I am really trying to figure out the best suspension components which will give me the lift and a reasonable marriage between offroad and highway performance.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

I plan on running in mud and sand. To tell you the truth, I like to watch the rock crawlers, but it just isn't my bag.

From information on the Calmini site, they had indicated that their 5" combo lift and a 3" body lift were necessary for 33's, so I figured 8" was what I would go for. I am looking for a SPOA that would get me there.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the information on the site. If you want to hear a hoot, I thought the site belonged to a retired sergeant. I guess 20 years in the Army warped my brain. Nice to know North Carolina has a good site for Zooks.

I pretty much know what I am getting into as a result of the lift. It is identifying the best components which will give me the compromise I want that seems to be the problem.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 09:30 AM
Can't Get Enough

he is refering to northcoastoffroad.com. It is In Ohio and is a great guy to deal with. Check out his site and it will help you with your suspension options
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 10:49 AM

It really depends on what you plan on doing with it. Take me for instance: I'm now on the BDS 4" suspension lift with extended shackles, giving me about 5 inches. I'm more than likely going to run spring over, and return the shackles to normal but then I'll be around 8 inches lift, plus 33's?! Maybe a little too high for the 4.3L I'm installing. So instead I may just do a 2 inch body lift and that way, the engine remains relatively low. I know, the articulation would be shot but to be quite honest, my safety comes first. This Zuk is driven on the highway a lot so that's taken into consideration. Plus I'm not planning on making a living out of off-roading! There are a ton of options out there for you and if I could do it all again, I'd get OME springs and run SPOA. The BDS springs are tough!

Cheers!
Steve
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 10:50 AM
ronin

I admit, those rims will look killer on a Samurai. I have drooled over them myself, Weld makes some nice stuff, just expensive. As far as your lift goes, your best bet is probably to go SPOA and get some lifted springs to go with it. For example, you could get a 5.5" SPOA + 3" Nationals for a total of 8.5" overall (or 9.5" if you tossed in a set of 2" shackles). That would give you more than enough to clear your tires without a body lift. Definitley post some pics...

BTW, are you in or near North Carolina?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode