Synthetic Blend - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 10:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Synthetic Blend

I have a sidekick with 96,000 miles on it and would like to make it to 200,000 miles. Does'nt use any oil maybe a quart between oil changes (3000mi). The question is I have read on this thread if I used complete synthetic oil it could cause oil leakage. But what if I use a synthetic blend 1/2 synthetic and 1/2 dino oil, would this help to keep it from leaking and help lube the engine for longer life?
Thanks ahead
Frankk

92 Sidekick 4X4 1.6L 16V
215/75R15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 10:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Synthetic Blend

I use plain jane non-synth. Both my Kicks are running fine at over 120,000 each.

Bob

<font color=blue>95 'Kick 2 Door Soft top </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
<font color=blue>95 'Kick 4 Door - header </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 11:19 PM
JKing

why not just try to use a full can of semi-synthetic oil instead of mixing 50/50 of blen and dino oil? Try a full can of synth-blend and see if it leaks, if it does not, then stick with the synth blend. The synthetic blend is halfway between the mineral oil and the fully synthetic oil and IMO it should be OK and does not cost so much.

I was using the mineral oil for sometime and later changed to the semi-synthetic oil and do not see any leak whatsoever on the engine. The viscosity of the oil i use is 10W-40 and is of the Castrol brand. Good oil for the money at US$17 a gallon.

However, I'll soon try out the cheaper bulk mineral 5W-30 oil (US$2 a Quart) from ACE Hardware with a mix of Tufoil Engine oil additive to see if the combination works for me to try save cost. ACE recently opened an outlet here in Malaysia and they carry lots of things, but that's something I'm sure you already know....

JKing
Suzuki Samurai (a.k.a. Jimny SJ413 in Asia)
K&N, Shackles, 235s, 1" Wheel Spacers, Driving, Spot & Reversing Lamps, KYB Shocks, Bosch +4s, RX-7 Mk.5 seats
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 11:27 PM

There have been some studies that show that some seals & gaskets do not seem to like synthetics and so some leaks are found. The last study I read was in Popular VWs mag several months ago if you wanted to find a reprint.

don't forget that unless you are using Mobil 1 oil, nearly all the other synthetics still are principally super refined petroleum with some synthetic oil included as a mix.

So I think the noticeable drips in the driveway are really negligible.

Hakuna Matata!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 03:06 AM
Keyboard Implanted

"don't forget that unless you are using Mobil 1 oil, nearly all the other synthetics still are principally super refined petroleum with some synthetic oil included as a mix."

Just for the record, Amsoil is a formulated from the ground up synthetic oil.......

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 03:11 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Most leaks occur when false seals are washed away due to synthetic's super high detergency. Seal compatibility isn't an issue now.
I've been running Amsoil synthetics in my 91 since it was new. 12 oil changes in 175,000 miles and no leaks. I guess the seals are compatible with the oil.....

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 09:04 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Good point Crow, now tell me you are running the gear lube, too? I dropped probably 40* of temperature off of my rear ends when I swapped it over to Amsoil's 85/140 synthetic. I can't hardly hear the lockrites any more, either. Amazing stuff, isn't it?
Sarge

If it aint broke , I can still fix it...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 04:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Crow so you are saying you go almost 14,000 miles in between oil changes??? how much is amsoil?

"No Soup For YOU!"
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 05:43 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Yep, I'm running it as well in everything. Great stuff! I'm using the 75-90w synthetic gear lube. Dropped it at 80,000 and it looked like the day I put it in. It's pricey, but I think it's worth it!

All Good Medicine,
Crow

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 05:48 PM
Keyboard Implanted

yep, change it once a year if I need to or not. I'm running a by-pass filter as well as their regular filter remotely mounted. It's been a while, but about $6.00 a quart sounds about right.

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-703717-bypass1.jpg (64.2 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode