Opening a can of worms, but... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 06:01 PM
grimbo

Opening a can of worms, but...

Ok question
When you guys go for SPOA don't you find that you get way strange weight shift when climbing ledges etc. Surely the back wheels will tend to walk under the car rather than put down full traction. In addition you have to worry about axle wrap, spring sag, relocated brake lines, shock mounts, steering issues etc all to run 33s. From what I've seen of them working on the trail they do articulate heaps and they do the job but seem to get a bit scary with the weight transfer issue.
i am running 34" tyres with a 2" body lift, 2" Olm Man Emu springs and some fender trimming, yet it is very stable, don't have any axle wrap, steering etc problems.
I'm not trying to stir up trouble or anything just asking the question is SPOA the way to go or stay SPUA and do some trimming?

let's all play nicely

http://www.suzuki-4wd-club.rockcrawler.com/home.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 06:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Opening a can of worms, but...

Hi Graham,
Geez....34" with only 2+2" lifts.
How much of the guards are left if it doesn't scrub out ?
I am contemplating a SPOA so i'd like to see some pics of your set-up ?
Thanks

A Zookster from Sydney, Australia.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 06:29 PM
grimbo

Here's a pic
"SRC:http://www.suzuki-4wd-club.rockcrawler.com/members/images/progress/gjs-2.jpg"

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-701435-gjs-2.jpg (37.5 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 07:01 PM
Alfie

Nice.
Can see why the rear wasn't a prob.
The front guards must have taken a lotta trimming, how do you get on with your wheels on full lock?
I have 2' body lift, 2" OME springs and revolvers and 31's are as big as I can mount.
But I do have a lot of travel.
I do agree on the stability thing tho'
But I think the spoa would get the chassis and sills way up outta harms way, yeah? Gr8 for Big rocks.
Alfie

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 11:43 PM
grimbo

At full lock , full stuff the lugs catch a bit on the inside front fender but nothing too bad, they don't jam up.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 05:35 PM

Well i just did my spoa for 40 dollors and its fairly right i still need spacers. it does have a lot of weight transfer around corners my assend feels like i'm kick 3 wheel like a cadie with hydros and i went wheelin and hit a root comeing up a hill and wow was i afraid.

1988 Zuk 5 1/2 SPOA 31x10.50 stock gears 1.3 life long project
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 05:47 PM

grimbo, I have been runnin a 5.5 spoa for a year now and have not noticed any rear weight shift or a walking axel issue...
all I have noticed is how much better the ride quality and how much more I can do with my rig than I could hope to do before....

so i have almost 1inch longer shackles and the 5.5 spoa..

one thing I did was put on 2.5 backspaced rims, which with the extra width going from the stock rim to an 8 inch wide rim and the new back space, I picked up around 4 to 6 inch wider stance..
which helps tremendously with stability....

<font color=red>Rich</font color=red><font color=green>_</font color=green><font color=blue>(</font color=blue>
If you do not expect the unexpected, you will not find it.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 04:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've read several posts about doing SPOA's for $30-$50 but don't you need other parts/mods to do it right which increase the cost considerably? Could someone do a breakdown of all costs involved to do a SPO right, so it doesn't fall apart the first time you flex the suspension a little?
Thanks,

Andy Bridgeman Longmont, CO '87 Samurai '88 K3500
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 10:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

With proper traction bar set up you have little to no axle wrap and great articulation. I have wrapped axles with a SPUA in extreme situations, so I really don't think it's a valid comparison. I have had to cut absolutely zero sheet metal and the only rub is on the leafs at full turning. A SPOA with 2" of shackle lift on flat stock springs and a 2 1/2" bod lift. Axles held in place with a sliding sleeve type traction bar. Leaves me with plenty of flex, no axle wrap, and no ribbing the sheetmetal. Best of all, it's not some chopped, crumpled heap of aluminum and steel with wheels. It's a clean straight daily driven clean Zuki during the week, and a bogging, rock crawling rig after 5 pm Friday. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Neal the Zukiguy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode