On a cold winter's day..... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

On a cold winter\'s day.....

Well i have finaly got around to telling this story so here it goes.

You all know how it starts; "Ok boy's it is going to be an easy run, were going to go all the way in and then come all the way back out in time for supper..!!" Yeah sure that never happens.

The day started out nice, a good soft layer of snow made for some nice trailblazing, I was in the lead on this nice trial and we came to our first obstical. (actuall i was the only one who had trouble, i don't quite know why?) it was a small ditch like rut in the road, I got stuck, slid down the dich sideways and tried backing out which resulted in the unwanted removal of my off-road light, not only did it Dent my upper fender, but it split the seam on my fiberglass windshield. But that's peanuts compared to later on. The rest of the day went fine and we were about 3/4 of the way in the trial when we came to a interesting brook crossing, The river was about as wide as the samurai and steep sheer ice sides, not to mention rocks at the bottom. So the jeep went through, the bronco went through and the samurai tried. I just couldn't get the traction i wanted and so i started rocking the vehicle bcak and forth. I gave her on the gas to go forward and my welded rear end was just a screaming, until..... BANG!!!, Crunch, Crunch,Crunh.....snap!! No i wasn't eating rice crispies. something had just exploded in my rear end. I didn't know what it was, and now it was getting dark. i radioed ahead and told the bronco to come back and pull me out. it took botht he bronco and my winch to pull me out. Half an hour later, i hear over the radio for the bronco to come up to the jeep, "Something's wrong with my rear end." well is seems that his spring perch's shims had broken free and the axle rotated and pulled out his drive shaft, No matter how hard he tried he couln't get the d-shaft back together, and the shims were long gone.

At this time it is about 8:00 pm It's dark, it's Cold, And i still didn't know what happend to mine, We decided it was time to turn around. My samurai would still parcially drive, A tooth would catch here and there and propell me forward. I had partially four wheel drive, the jeep only had front wheel drive. We got back across the small icy brook, all except the jeep, so the bronco started to pull the jeep, It would back up and pull forward, back and forth until the bronco could only got forward.... Thats because it had just lost it's reverse gear,the bronco can now only go forward . we got the jeep out and we got about 100 ft down the trail before I lost all power to the rear end and only had front wheel, so we decided to leave the Jeep and my samurai on the trail. So i take out allmy valuables and jump in the bronco. we left the vehicles at 11:00 pm. we didn't get out of the woods until 2:00 pm. Frozen, Hungrey and tired, we made plans for the rescue mission of the jeep and Samurai.

a couple of days later, i left school early,( early being never showed up) and loaded the back of my buddy's truck with my honda fourtrax and about every single part of a rear axle excluding the housing. We both went in and met the jeep guy back there, turn's out his missing shim's wasn't the problem, he had broken his spring perches right off the axle. we tride locking the axle in place to the leaf springs with logs, rope and chains in order to keep the axle from rotateing.

I Started the dissasembly of my rear axles.

Pulled the axle shafts out, the splines were fine.
pulled out the diff, and... well.... it was toast.

Billy bob has more teeth than that ring gear did.

so i put in another diff that i brough with me and in 2 hours 15 min.s I had completly tor down the axle and reasembled it. (with the help of my good buddy) Long story short I ended up pulling the jeep all the way out of the trial, Blew a tire off the bead and had to put my spare tire on, that tire is about 10 inches smaller than my 31's.

we didn't get out of the wood's until 9:00 pm that night.

FUN...FUN...FUN!!!!

-How many injuries or mishaps have happend after saying to you friends, "Hey, Watch this!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 06:09 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: On a cold winter\'s day.....

Billduck,I love a story with a happy ending,A zuke pulling out a jeep,GOOD FOR YOU,RR

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 07:26 PM

lol..........o my god, i'm weak greg........... when was this???? start your write up for the Whoops page on the club site.........lol........
l8r

Zuki-Fest.......Nova Scotia, Canada, june 28-29-30......more info:
http://www.angelfire.com/ns2/bushwhackers/events.htm
"Anything a JEEP can do, a ZUKI can do better"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

It was on january 20, it was a real bad night, the whole trip started with 6 vehicles, My samurai, Mike's Bronco, Chads CJ-5, Loyds Cheroke, And two other YJ's. We started down the trial and the was a lot of brush closing in on the path making the trucks scrap all the way in, well thats were on of the Yj's turned around. The second YJ got stuck about 20 feet into the trail because his front axle would not engage. So we drove in with 4 vehicles and came out with two, that night. At one point around 10:30pm we had all the vehciles stuck in the snow at once. It was fun though.

-How many injuries or mishaps have happend after saying to you friends, "Hey, Watch this!!"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 02:35 PM

Whew, tough day(s)

-92 Sami, bone stock, but with a 5.5" lift kit sitting in the garage
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 03:57 PM

As my Daddy use to say" What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

Marc Haught
[email protected]
www.serioussami.rockcrawler.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 06:29 PM

So is your zuki all back together and running fine now????? i hope my rear end dosn't do that......:^) are the rummers true greg???? is she for-sale????
well i'll catch you on the chat sometime i guess.......
-Mike

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

She was for sale, But i don't know what i was thinking... I decide to keep her. Don't worry about your rear diff, mine only exploded becuase of something stupid i did in the process or re welding it after the welds gave away the first time. She is all fine now.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 09:55 PM

glad to hear you're keeping it........ just move up to 33" or 35"s........i'm going 33 i think, i can fit 36"s with minor trimming but then my gears will have to go way the hell down....... now that my body lift is in i need to find a set, my 31"s are just about shot, and my 33"s off my last zuki, well there good for the dump.....:^)...... catch ya later greg......
-Mike

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2002, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Here is some pictures of the diff that has the teeth chewed off.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-704758-1001.jpg (43.5 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode