ATs or MTs? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

ATs or MTs?

Tryin to decide 'tween ATs and MTs.
I gotta be honest with myself...I will be drivin on the road mostly and I hate buying new tires all the time.
Gnarley MTs look kool, but just don't last as long as the ATs...and the ATs cost less too!
Sams club has Goodyear Wrangler ATs for 95$...Is this a good tire? tread pattern aint nothin to write home about, but its posed to be good for 60k miles.
Its either that or I'll bite the bullet and get the Courser MTs for 106$
Ho hum.....I just wish I was independently wealthy.
Just ramblin on fellas.....
Johnny C

88 spoa'd sammie flattie(for now)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 08:24 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: ATs or MTs?

I am a daily driver also, but I prefer mud terrain tires. Cool looking - yes! and for the weight of a Samurai, they won't wear too bad. My 2 cents is this, if you're gonna do any trail riding, get the more aggressive mud tires.
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] ...'course, this is coming from a guy with 33" claws.

Scott Trester - '88.5 Suzuki Samurai
http://RockPile4x4.tripod.com/Scott.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 08:24 AM

Bite the bulit! Or at least get something with a liittle more bite than A/Ts, You will be happier...

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] <font color=green>Canadian Eh ! </font color=green>

http://www3.telus.net/tazuki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 08:29 AM
MRLoneWolfe

I have run both...My opinion is the MT or the MTR's last ans out perform the AT.AT's wear real quick,seems my mtrs have out lasted them all...good luck!!MTR's or MT's flex real good!and they are real rugged!

88 Sami 1.3+.030,cam,462gears,locked,5in Calmini,2"body
31-10.50's.Yankee-offroad-Hood latches,Bumpers,Rails and armour,Tracker seats,.....BET YA I CAN!!!!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 08:31 AM
GRW

MT's. I did the AT thing and kicked my self in the but for doing it. Plus I ended up getting MT's ASAP.

Gary

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 09:35 AM
zukikid

you live in indiana boy....mt's
oh by the way i run some at's...one day they will be my street tires ...and i will have somthing more agressive for the trails.
zukikid

wow ...it still fits out the garage !!!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 06:21 PM

Damn you easties and your mud. I run BFG AT KOs and love 'em. Great street manners and awsome on the rocks(with 9 psi), but I guess with all the mud you guys have back there....I'd go with some MTRs or BFG MT KMs, or move west....LOL.

88 Zuk
locked and loaded
http://www.zukin.homestead.com/main.html
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 09:20 PM
Urban_Zuk

Rapax_1-
I was in the same boat as you about two months ago. I couldn't decide as to what to but (either AT or MT). I also looked at the Goodyear AT and MT. They seemed a little expensive for me, so I kept searching. I came across the BFG At and BFG MT KM. Both looked really cool. I was about to buy the BFG AT, when someone on the board told me to check out Cooper Discoverer STT.
Wow, what a save. First off, yes they are mud terrains. Second, they look really great. Third, I have heard nothing but great things about them and they last for quite awhile (something about the compound/ply of the tire). And lastly they were even cheaper than the BFG AT or BFG MT. They were at least $100 cheaper for all four compared to the BFGs.

The little Suzuki always tends to amaze!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 09:27 PM

I hated the bfg A/Ts. Slip and slide whebn it's wet and fast wear. Disliked the M/Ts because I am an agressive daily driver and the way the edges are stepped caused me stress when cornering. I ran Cavalier Mud Kings 235/75r15 on a 7" rim (and still have them in the garage), after 2 years of slow, even wear I was lazy after a weekend trip and didn't hose of the mud off from the inside of the rim. Three days later they started out of balance.. 3 months later I bought 32" on 8" TSLs. Not nearly as stable in tight U turns and such (side wall gives). But that's the price for clearance...
Hope some of that helps...

Calmini 5", 32" TSLs, daily driver, work in progress...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 09:46 PM

I have some Coopers Agressive mud on my XJ and they wear really well,just have to rotate a bit more.But man,do they like to sing goin down the road![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]Anyway,Ats for the XJ,Mts for the sammi[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]for now on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode