V6 install questions.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

V6 install questions....

I can't go too indepth with my plans but I need some info from people who have done the V6 install.

I'm leaning towards a Chevy V6 but not dead set on it.

I'd like the easiest possible install. So, here goes:

What engines are you using and what cars are they from? How much should I expect to pay for one?

What Transmissions are you using? And, did you have major modifications?

Are you using stock T-cases?

If you have an EFI engine are you running the EFI and is so, did you graft the wiring harnesses?

Also, what are you using for motor mounts?

Sorry for the long post!
You can email me at [email protected] if youd like.

Thanks a ton!
Pauly

AARRRRRRRG! 1987 Red JX 'vert, 4.5 BREEZE SPOA, SJ410 T-case, 31 BFG M/T knock offs, extended shackles (1.6 - 16V eventually)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 10:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: V6 install questions....

o.k. i tried the 3.8 buick and it didn't fit worth a sh-t. i got it in there though. the easiest by far is the ford 2.8. fits right in with a c4 tranny with c6 tailshaft and zook case. i am currently running a 4.3 vortec in my rock buggy thing and if it still had a body it would be very tight like the 3.8. the problem with the gm motors and buick is the passengers side exhaust manifold. u can get shorty headers for the 3.8 but not the 4.3??? . anyways i'm using an sm465 tranny and 205 t-case but it'd be a challenge with the stock body and impossible without moving the rear axle back. i'd suggest using the 200r4 auto cause it's smaller and fits in the tunnel mostly. and the pan is narrower so the front driveshaft won't hit it. hope this helps...
p.s. whatever you do, plan on an axle swap and spoa to handle the clearance and power the gm engines will provide.

87 sammy (RAIL BUGGY) PROJECT 75 % complete.4.3 V-6, SM465, DIVORCED 205 T-CASE,tube chassis,4link,1/4 ELLIPTIC REAR,36"tsl's, 1/2 ton GM axles welded.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

I'm a little leary of the 2.8. I had a friend with a Mustang with that motor and the FI was a technical nightmare.

However, I would like the easiest swap possible and retain the stock T-case so I'll look into that swap.

Does anyone else have some more insight. I know some of you guys have a V6 in there!

Does anyone have a Lightning Conversion install manual they'd like to part with?

AARRRRRRRG! 1987 Red JX 'vert, 4.5 BREEZE SPOA, SJ410 T-case, 31 BFG M/T knock offs, extended shackles (1.6 - 16V eventually)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 10:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

On my Ford 2.9 EFI, there are 6 wires total that I have to trace through the harness and take with me when I move it into the Zuki. I haven't gotten that far yet, since I'm waiting to complete my suspension mods before I start moving the engine over. The folks at Wild West are about to start a 2.9 project, give them a call. (360) 264-5363

I mean really, if yer gonna do the 2.8, it makes perfect sense to do the 2.9 for the EFI and durability.

Some immediate perusals:
You'll need the tranny bell from an A4LD tranny, a c4 tranny with the rear shaft from the c6 (find 68-73 E-150 or F-150). You'll also need a radiator from a 64 Falcon (or equivalent size). The stock radiator from the Ranger and Bronco II with the 2.8/2.9 is too deep. You will also have to relocate the hood latch or remove it completely and use Jeep type exterior latches or the likes for the radiator to fit right up against the grill.

The 2.8/2.9 sits right up against the firewall, but the stock t-case only moves back about 1 1/2". So depending upon how much suspension lift you end up with, you may need only some spacers on your stock rear d-shaft. The intermediate shaft is slightly modifed on one end to receive the tranny output on the c4, but it basically bolts right up.

That's about all the major stuff I can think of from the top of my head, but it is really a relatively easy swap and great power/weight ratio. You can gear it down way low like the "low gear" types preach, or you can leave it high geared and "muscle" yer way through mud if yer that type.

I'm choosing the middle ground, going with stock diffs and 4.16 t-case.

Hope this helps.

Neal the Zukiguy

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 12:25 AM
Addict

the easiest v6 to swap in is going the be the ford 2.8. I am a little confused by what you mean when you say the FI was a technical nightmare since the mustang never came with a Fuel injected 2.8. just use a duraspark ignition and the 2barrel carb and that is all there is to it.

also if you are wanting to use the stock tcase any of the ford 60degree v6's are a good choice since you can use the short shaft c4. you only need to move the tcase back 1.5-2". the shortshaft ford c4 is a short trany.

the 2.8 isn't a powerhouse and the 2.9 or 4.0 might be a better choice, but I havn't talked to anyone who has done one of these, I know zukiguy is working on a 2.9. I saw a couple of things that might be complications that i didn't want to deal with, so that is why i stuck with the 2.8 and I am glad i did, becuase i have it done and I am driving it now.

zukiguy- let me know how well the 2.9 works for you, the 2.9(or 4.0) is in my plans if I blow up the 2.8.

1990 samurai spoa
2.8 V6 and c4 auto
33" thornbirds
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 08:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

So tell me what those problems are that you saw?

Neal the Zukiguy

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 08:43 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I'm doing the GM 2.8L V6 install now! I'm kinda re-building it now and its going in sometime this week or next. I made my own motor mounts and using a 200R4 Auto tranny out of a Camaro that had a 2.8L engine in it! I got the Engine for free and the tranny for $50! I have some connections! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
I'm using the stock t-case and if or when I brake it I might go for the 300, since it has a centered output and I'm running Toyota axles! Looks like the GM 2.8L V6 will go in very easy, I'll take some pics of everything I do this weekend.

<font color=blue>-Brian</font color=blue>

ULTIMATE ZUK
http://www.geocities.com/brianconrad1/
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 06:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

man, i just heard a 4.3 run... I WANT THAT! it sounds awesome.... and it pulls hard... i could probably get a cheap one... and itd be perfect for kansas, all flat, muddy, with some light rocks and creeks... BUT I WANT TO KEEP IT MANUAL!!!

what was the problem with a 4.3? what had to be chopped? sawzall can do anything hehe.

Put on your seatbelt... I wanna try something.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 07:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Nothing gets chopped for the 4.3, but the tranny tunnel gets chopped I think. I know for the Ford 2.8/2.9 w/c4 tranny the tunnel gets chopped. But the 4.3 drops right in. It looks just like it belongs in there.

Neal the Zukiguy

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 08:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the tranny tunnel i can handle... but does it really just drop in there? what kinda motor mounts? made yer own? MAN i really want one... and my engine sounds like its givin up the ghost... but we all know that an engine can last as long as anything, as long as you take care of it... and i dont want to not take care of it (2x negative), but i want that engine!!! who wants to buy my 1.3?

Put on your seatbelt... I wanna try something.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode