Don't Do It! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Don\'t Do It!

Whatever you do! When you have your flywheel resurfaced in preparation for installing a new clutch, DON'T have the ring gear turned over! I had this done to my flywheel because some of the gear teeth were chewed up. I installed the flywheel with a new Centerforce DF clutch and pressure plate. Afterwards, the whole motor shook slightly, especially at low RPM's. I assumed it was the clutch being unbalanced, and just lived with it. The other day I swapped transmissions (because mine was leaking oil), and on a whim I swapped flywheels too. Now the shakes are gone! Apparently you destroy the balance of the flywheel when you flip the starter ring gear.
Now I've got a flywheel that I've invested $45 in, that I'm going to have to throw away. I hope someone else can learn from my mistake.

-Surly Early [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] <font color=blue>'88 Samurai - Built not Bought - 99% Duct Tape free!</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 09:32 PM

Re: Don\'t Do It!

I installed a Centerforce Dual friction clutch on an old 72 Bronco. I had the flywheel resurfaced before I installed the clutch. It had the shakes as well, felt like the clutch was out of balance. After a while it would kinda do the "herky jerky" when going in reverse. Then one day there was a loud thud and nothing....no clutch at all (about 3 months after install). When I dropped the tranny I found that the clutch disk had disintegrated into what I can only describe as a Mop head made of copper yarn.
Long story short, They said the clutch failed because I had the flywheel resurfaced lathe style (like a record player). Not exactly what I wanted to hear after investing $350 in a clutch and $50 on the resurfacing.

Old Zukes don't drip oil, they mark their spot!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
RoBeRt
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 01:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Okay so which was the problem? Sounds like resurfacing was the problem. I am asking because I have a flywheel that I was getting ready to have the ring gear flipped over cause the teeth are chewed up. Should I just go for a new fly wheel? I just had the engine rebuilt and now just need to figure out why the starter grinds.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Whazoo: Wild, man! A mop head? Please tell me that Centerforce gave you a new clutch disc anyway. It's supposed to have at least some kind of guarantee, isn't it? And if there were a "wrong" way of having a flywheel resurfaced (which I've never heard of), shouldn't they have warned you about it in the installation instructions?

Goldwing: You don't have to buy a new flywheel. There have to be some folks on this board who have spares. Also check out the izook.com classifieds and ebay. But Please don't have your ring gear reversed. When they make the flywheels at the factory, they drill the holes after the ring gear is installed. Some of the holes poke into the ring gear a little bit. That's why reversing the ring throws off the balance.

-Surly Early [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] <font color=blue>'88 Samurai - Built not Bought - 99% Duct Tape free!</font color=blue>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 08:57 AM
Keyboard Implanted

First off, unless it's a very expensive lathe cutter, they are not going to give the level of accuracy in resurfacing a flywheel that a grinding unit can. These flywheels are a step type, and to get an accurate grind the pins and ring gear for most machines have to be removed. The pins location isn't that important, but the ring gear's orientation is. I mark mine with a punch, then heat it slowly to expand it off the flywheel, then it just drops off. The step difference has to be cut to .095", or the clutch will not work properly. The ring gear that was on this last flywheel we used was tore up on one side, so it was reversed. However, that was before the rotating mass was balanced for the new engine, so the flywheel was rebalanced as it was assembled. When we did this, the flywheel came back with some huge holes drilled into it, mostly due to the ring gear being flipped! The cause of the whole problem started with a cheap pos starter from Auto Zone. They did warranty it, but it cost me almost $75 in extra machine work. After all that, as soon as we tried to fire the engine, the starter ground again. I took it back, they tested it and said it was fine. After a few threats of bodily injury, they gave me another different one, which works just fine, never once has it ground the teeth. A serious lesson: don't trust cheap aftermarket starters...
Sarge

If it aint broke , I can still fix it...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 03:20 PM
Can't Get Enough

Thanks for sharing your experience with flipping the flywheel ring gear. That may save someone some problems down the road.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 05:21 PM
Enthusiast

I was going to do the same thing to mine.
The gear can be flipped but you have to balance the flywheel again.
So I decided that putting a new $160.00 unit on would be a better investment since I'm installing a 1600 16V.
better safe than sorry.

88 W/Calmini 5" & 325x60-15BFG M/T Hawk Hybrid Axle W/5.12 & Petroworks GRS-II & 1600 16V EFI
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 11:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I tried responding to this once. Must have clicked the wrong Icon. Duh.

Okay I am convinced. I won't flip the ring gear. I just had my engine rebuilt. Less than 100 miles on it. The guy that rebuilt it said if I get a good flywheel he would change it out for no charge when I bring the car in for its 500 mile check up. Guess I need to start looking for a good or new flywheel.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode