89 Samari tranny problem? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 07:36 PM
adam728

89 Samari tranny problem?

This summer I was looking at getting a Samari, but ended up with an 85 Toyota that I have been working hard on since (*duck and cover*).

The only Zuki that I found was an 89 with a few problems. A lady my dad works with owns it, and she said it kinda shakes when you drive it, so she stopped driving it almost 2 years ago. Well, it fired right up and sounded great, only 88,000 miles on it. Started out and everything seemed fine, but it began to shake a little. By the time you reach 25 mph it is unbearable, it feels like the whole thing is jumping off the road. The whole dash flexed like crazy, and I swear something like the frame was going to break. Push in the clutch and you coast smooth as can be.

Some people told me the tranny is shot, others said the clutch might have shattered or cracked badly. The lady said it happened all at once and she drove straight home (at 10 mph) and never touched it again. What can I expect it to be? I am thinking of buying it again for a trail rig in the future.

Oh yea, what else should I look for on these? I know the body is SHOT, you can see the drivers front wheel from the drivers seat, and I tried to set the e-brake and the whole thing came right through the floor. Does the frame rust as badly too? I know that Toy's are notorious for it, hence the massive patching I had to do on mine .

85 SR5, hey that rhymes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 08:25 PM
Veteran

Re: 89 Samari tranny problem?

Sounds like it's too far gone to be anything but a parts car. I've never heard of a dashboard flexing! That sounds like a broken frame to me. Personally, I wouldn't spend more than a couple of hundred bucks on it, and then part it out. There are better Zuks out there to be had. Keep looking!

-Surly Early [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] <font color=blue>'88 Samurai - Built not Bought - 99% Duct Tape free!</font color=blue>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 11:13 AM
adam728

Well the dash only flexes cause it is hopping so bad. The frame is fine, no cracks or rusted through spots that I found. The engine/tranny mounts seem fine as well. It just bucks like mad when going any sort of speed with the clutch out.

It is not gear dependant either. Whether I am at 20 mph in 2nd or 4th it feels exactly the same. Push in the clutch and it is fine. 4 wheel works good too, I did some really slow speed hill climbing and it feels fine. Just get any speed over about 10 and the vibrations start, above 25 is unbearable.

I was thinking of offering like $250 and then starting a buildup from basically frame up. Motor is clean, 88,000 miles, runs like a top. Just this shaking and a lot of body rust (doesn't bother me) are the only problems.

85 SR5, hey that rhymes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 12:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

does the shaking go away when you push in onthe clutch. if it goes away when you push in. check th e presureplate and clutch and pilot bearing.

Now here is a good one for you if it does not go away when you push in on the clutch. take all four tires of the zook
then let the air out of them and break them down to see if thier is any nud in the tire..

I had this little proublem about 8 weeks ago. i thought the my sammy was going to fall apart going down the road. so i taked to a friend and he told me to check the clutch first then check the tires sure of enough it was the tires..

it had mud in them..... nearly shoot the poor beast!!!

88.5 samy/225.75.15/custom F/R bumpers/three inch shaclkes/2 inch body lift/
http://photos.yahoo.com/nate691023
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 28-699808-83eec882.jpeg (62.1 KB, 0 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 12:02 PM

Adam I sent you a PM..

<font color=red>Rich</font color=red><font color=green>_</font color=green><font color=blue>(</font color=blue>
If you do not expect the unexpected, you will not find it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 05:51 PM
adam728

The shaking completly goes away when the clutch it pushed in. I know this thing wasn't off-raoded, or at least VERY little. The lady that owns it got it when her dad died, and only used it as a winter vehicle. He hardly drove it cept to town and back, then his health went and it sat a long time, till like 4 years ago.

85 SR5, hey that rhymes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode