Which brake pads last the longest? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 04:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Which brake pads last the longest?

I do not know how to install it but I let my mechanics do it. I need rear brake shoes/pads and resurfaceing the drums. I called several brake shops and they quoted me of a low $109.00 to a high $262.00 for the same type of job. I asked the mechanic who quoted me the price of $109.00 on what type of brakes pads/shoes do you use? He said Bendix. Is that a good brand?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 04:17 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Which brake pads last the longest?

They'll be just fine. You might want to consider getting a FSM or equivalent so you could do your own. It's pretty simple and you could save some cash. Also, doing a job yourself allows you to know your vehicle intimately and the feeling of a successfully completed job is great!

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 04:24 PM

262$ Damn i need to get back into turning wrenches again !!!!for a hour job thats the highest labor rate ive herd of. what at the top 30$ for shoes 5 $ a piesce to have drums turned . talk about walkin out bowllegged!

<font color=red>And yes if you dont no it buy now i cant spell LOL!</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 04:25 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Get the new K&N brake shoes, guaranteed for a million miles. They even come with the oil to keep them nice and new....

OK, that was a pretty pitiful attempt at humor....

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 04:29 PM

piaa lites i just have a ? you can answer if you like or not

you been on the board since 9/11/99

and your profile is still blank?

<font color=red>And yes if you dont no it buy now i cant spell LOL!</font color=red>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 05:55 PM
Veteran

Around here (central NC), nobody I know of turns drums & rotors anymore. I walked into a NAPA store with my rotors in hand, because they had a big banner in the window that said "We turn drums & rotors!" When I asked the guy how much, he said "We don't do that anymore, it's become a liability issue". I pointed at the banner in the window. He said, "Yeah, I've been trying to get them to take the sign down, but they won't." He swore up and down that nobody would turn drums & rotors anymore, you had to replace them. I suppose that somebody sued them, and they stopped. Whatever. I ended up buying new rotors for $50 each, plus pads (lifetime guaranteed), plus bearings, races and grease seals. Talk about walking out bowlegged!!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Anyway, if you can get your drums turned somewhere, do it. Rear brakes are an easy job once you get the drums off. I have a slide hammer that works wonders on 'em. I also recommend that you get a "spring pack" when you get your shoes. My retaining pins were rusted almost completely through. New ones come in the spring pack. Crow is right, do it yourself and feel the pride of knowing the job was done right! Your Zuk will thank you.

-Surly Early [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] <font color=blue>'88 Samurai - Built not Bought - 99% Duct Tape free!</font color=blue>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 06:29 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Mr. Surly made some good points. A slide hammer makes removing the drums much easier. The hardware (springs) kit is also invaluable. Also a dab of brake grease where the shoes contact the backing plates....(this isn't another feable attempt at humor, I'm serious).....
Also check out the e-brake mechanism to see if it pivots properly and isn't seized up. I squeeze in a small amount of anti-seize compound so that it stays free.....

All Good Medicine,
Crow

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 06:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

drums and rotors dont ALWAYS need to be turned. As long as they are not glazed, scored or out of round you can get away with not turning them

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 08:47 PM
Veteran

Oops! I forgot to mention that in my first post! I did replace my rotors because they were badly scored, but my drums were fine. A little emery cloth cleaned them right up!
Thanks, Zooky.

-Surly Early [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] <font color=blue>'88 Samurai - Built not Bought - 99% Duct Tape free!</font color=blue>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 09:19 PM
JKing

Bendix make good brake pads and if you're going to get Bendix, get The " Bendix Metal King". They are slightl more expensive than normal pads but give good stopping power as they have a higher temperature rating and does not fade as soon as cheap ones as far as my experience tells me.

Also, I have not managed to source Bendix brake shoes for the rear and I was told by the parts dealer that Bendix does not manufacture rear brake shoes for the Samurai. Maybe you should check it out yourself if you're actuallyy getting Bendix for both front and rear as it was about 8 months ago since I change the pads and shoes and maybe at that time they did not have them.

The shoes I have in the rears are Sumitomo. The Sumitomo brands are also quite reputable and are made in Japan.

Rotors and drums need to be turned only if in warped or glazed condition else it'll be OK.

and also...... IMHO those lifetime guarantee product may just be pads that wear so slowly as that are so hard and will give you longer stopping distance. Hard pads are also hard on rotors and drums, so....... you go figure if replacing pads or rotors are cheaper and if you want a shorter or longer stopping distance. On the other hand, it may also wear down so fast with the type of off-roading we're doing that you'll have to take them out ever so often to get them replaced under warranty every few months and get some grinning faces of the outlet that you go to .....

JKing
Suzuki Samurai (a.k.a. Jimny SJ413 in Asia)
K&N, Shackle Lift, 235s, 1" Wheel Spacers, Driving & Spot Lamps, Tokico Shocks, Bosch +4s, RX-7 Turbo seats
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode